Big 12 foes will battle when the Texas Longhorns (12-7, 3-4 Big 12) meet the Iowa State Cyclones (11-7, 2-5 Big 12) at Frank Erwin Special Events Center. Texas is a 7-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Texas Longhorns Betting Preview
The Cyclones had no trouble getting past the No. 8 Texas Tech Red Raiders in their last matchup, 70-52. With 13 points, seven rebounds and five assists, Nick Weiler-Babb put together a good outing for Iowa State. Iowa State played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.544 (above their season average of 0.506) and a free throw rate of 0.140 (below their season average of 0.221). For those same stats, Texas Tech was 0.390 and 0.102, respectively.
The last time the Longhorns played, they were blown out by the No. 6 West Virginia Mountaineers, 86-51. With nine points and 13 rebounds, Texas Mohamed Bamba played well. West Virginia held the Longhorns to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.2 (below their season average of 30.2). Texas, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.280 (above their season average of 0.223).
Texas appears to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Longhorns currently rank 24th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.459), while Iowa State is 197th in effective field goal percentage (0.508).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Iowa State games have finished over 62.5 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of games including Texas have finished under. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (11-7 for Iowa State; 12-7 for Texas), but the Longhorns have the edge against the spread (ATS). Texas is 7-8 ATS, while the Cyclones are 6-9-1.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 144 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 138. The Longhorns won 74-70, covering as 2.5-point favorites. Texas 0.172 free throw rate was their largest strength over Iowa State, who had a rate of 0.092. Cameron Lard played a big role with 21 points and 16 rebounds.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Texas Longhorns Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iowa State, ATS Winner – Iowa State, O/U – Over
- The Longhorns rank 11th in blocks per game (5.9) while the Cyclones rank 94th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- On the road, Iowa State is 3-5 ATS with 6 overs and 2 unders.
- Texas is 3-3 ATS at home with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Texas ranks 40th in assists allowed per game (11.5) while Iowa State ranks 171st (14.3).
- The Cyclones rank 61st in rebounds per game (38.4) while the Longhorns rank 188th in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- Texas ranks 130th in three pointers allowed per game (21.7) while Iowa State ranks 256th (25.8).
- Texas is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iowa State is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Longhorns have been outscored by an average of 7.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Texas has defeated opponents by an average of 5.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Cyclones have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (5.1 above their season average).