The Texas Longhorns (18-13, 8-10 Big 12) and the Iowa State Cyclones (13-17, 4-14 Big 12) clash in the Big 12 Conference Tourney at Sprint Center. Texas opened as a 6-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Texas Longhorns Betting Preview
The Cyclones were blown out by the Oklahoma Sooners in their last matchup, 81-60. Jeff Beverly had a good performance for Iowa State, recording 11 points and 15 rebounds. Oklahoma had a turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 15.7). Iowa State, on the other hand, held the Sooners to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.3 (below their season average of 29.1).
The last time the Longhorns played, they topped the No. 20 West Virginia Mountaineers, 87-79. Kerwin Roach II led the way for Texas, finishing with 22 points and eight assists. The Longhorns had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.353 (above their season average of 0.221) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.676 (above their season average of 0.494).
Texas appears to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Longhorns currently rank 41st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.475), while Iowa State is 247th in effective field goal percentage (0.498). Also, the Cyclones, who rank 275th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.213), could struggle to get to the line against the Longhorns, who rank 32nd in opponents’ FTA rate (0.189).
Of Iowa State’s 28 games with betting action, 16 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Texas’ 27 games have finished under the projected point total. The Longhorns come into this game with a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-13 SU and 14-13 ATS, while the Cyclones are 13-17 SU and 10-17-1 ATS.
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Longhorns winning both. Mohamed Bamba scored a game-high 24 points in the most recent contest, in which the Longhorns defeated the Cyclones 73-57, covering as 7-point favorites. He also put up 12 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 130 points, which was 9.5 points below the projected point total of 139.5 points. The Longhorns dominated every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.0 and a superb free throw rate of 0.263. For those same stats, the Cyclones recorded marks of 18.0 and 0.167, respectively.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Texas Longhorns Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Texas, ATS Winner – Iowa State, O/U – Under
- The Cyclones rank 140th in assists per game (13.6) while the Longhorns rank 254th (11.5).
- Texas ranks 145th in steals per game (6.0) while Iowa State ranks 235th (4.8).
- Texas ranks 123rd in three pointers allowed per game (21.1) while Iowa State ranks 270th (24.6).
- The Longhorns rank 113th in rebounds per game (36.2) while the Cyclones rank 253rd in rebounds allowed per game (37.6).
- Texas averages 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks 16th in the nation. Iowa State ranks 143rd in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Texas is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iowa State is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Longhorns have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. On the season, Texas has defeated opponents by an average of 3.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Cyclones have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 82.6 points per game (6.9 above their season average).