Big 12 foes will clash when the Oklahoma State Cowboys (10-4, 0-2 Big 12) take on the Iowa State Cyclones (9-4, 0-2 Big 12) at Gallagher-Iba Arena. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Iowa State Cyclones at Oklahoma State Cowboys Free Preview
In the Cyclones last contest, they were beaten by the Texas Longhorns, 74-70. Cameron Lard had a solid performance for Iowa State, contributing 21 points and 16 rebounds. Texas had a better free throw rate (0.172 vs. 0.092). Iowa State, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 14.8).
The Cowboys are hoping for a better outcome after their 109-89 loss to the No. 7 Oklahoma Sooners in their last matchup. With 15 points and 10 rebounds, Jeffrey Carroll played well for Oklahoma State. Oklahoma did a terrific job of making free throws (24-34; 70.6 percent). Oklahoma State, meanwhile, held the Sooners to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2 (below their season average of 28.2).
It will be a showdown of opposite styles as the fast-paced Cowboys will look to push the more methodical Cyclones. The Cowboys currently rank 70th in possessions per game while the Cyclones are 239th. Also, the Cyclones rank 49th in turnover percentage (16.7 percent), while the Cowboys rank 36th in opponents turnover percentage (23.0 percent).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Cyclones, it’s been Lard, who has averaged 11.8 points and 6.6 rebounds, while the Cowboys have gotten great contributions from Carroll (15.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.4 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Cyclones won all three contests played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Iowa State won 92-83. One of Iowa State’s biggest strengths was getting to the charity stripe. They made 27 trips to the line, while Oklahoma State went 19 times.
Iowa State Cyclones at Oklahoma State Cowboys Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Oklahoma State, ATS Winner – Oklahoma State, O/U – Under
- The Cowboys are 11th in the nation with 2.1 blocks allowed per game while the Cyclones are 51st with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Oklahoma State ranks 56th in steals per game (7.5) while Iowa State ranks 79th in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- Oklahoma State averages 26.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 39th in the NCAA. Iowa State ranks 242nd in three pointers allowed per game (26.1).
- The Cowboys rank 50th in assists per game (16.4) while the Cyclones rank 155th (13.5).
- Iowa State averages 38.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 61st in the NCAA. Oklahoma State ranks 152nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.6).
- The Cowboys average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 9.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cyclones have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (4.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (4.0 below their season average).