Big 12 foes will clash when the No. 12 Kansas Jayhawks (12-3, 2-1 Big 12) meet the Iowa State Cyclones (9-5, 0-3 Big 12) at Allen Fieldhouse. Kansas opened as a 15.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 155.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Iowa State Cyclones vs. Kansas Jayhawks Betting Preview
In the Cyclones last game, they were beaten by the Oklahoma State Cowboys, 96-87. With 30 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Donovan Jackson was the games high scorer. Oklahoma State had a better turnover percentage (13.3 vs. 15.4). Iowa State, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (25-30; 83.3 percent).
The Jayhawks will look to maintain momentum after beating the No. 16 TCU Horned Frogs in their last matchup, 88-84. With 28 points on 6-for-16 shooting, Devonte Graham was the top scorer from either team. Kansas dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.434 (above their season average of 0.147) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.613 (above their season average of 0.597). For those same stats, TCU recorded marks of 0.304 and 0.457, respectively.
Kansas should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Kansas ranks 34th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.4 percent), while Iowa State forces the 74th-fewest turnovers (17.6 percent).
Of Iowa State’s 12 games with betting action, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 7 of Kansas 14 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jayhawks have a significant advantage. They are 12-3 SU and 9-5 ATS, while the Cyclones are 9-5 SU and 3-8-1 ATS.
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Kansas, averaging 17.0 points and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last matchup, the Cyclones won 92-89. The Cyclones 13.6 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Jayhawks, who had a rate of 22.6.
Iowa State Cyclones at Kansas Jayhawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Iowa State, O/U – Over
- The Jayhawks rank 42nd in blocks per game (4.6) while the Cyclones rank 68th (4.0).
- Kansas averages 7.4 steals per game, which ranks 55th in the NCAA. Iowa State ranks 71st in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- Kansas is 5-2 ATS at home, while Iowa State is 2-4 ATS on the road.
- The Cyclones have 4 overs and 2 unders in 6 road games.
- In 7 home games, the Jayhawks have 5 overs and 2 unders.
- Kansas ranks 38th in three pointers attempted per game (26.1) while Iowa State ranks 227th in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- The Jayhawks rank sixth in assists per game (18.7) while the Cyclones rank 137th (13.6).
- Iowa State ranks 49th in rebounds per game (38.9) while Kansas ranks 141st in rebounds allowed per game (35.3).
- Kansas is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iowa State is 1-3 ATS with 4 overs.
- The Jayhawks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.8, down from 17.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cyclones have scored an average of 72.6 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.0 points per game (1.9 above their season average).