he Maryland Terrapins (13-4, 2-2 Big 10) will try to prolong a six-game home winning streak when they welcome the Iowa Hawkeyes (8-6, 0-4 Big 10) to Xfinity Center. Maryland opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 148.5 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Maryland Terrapins ATS Preview
In the Hawkeyes last contest, they lost to the Ohio State Buckeyes, 92-81. Tyler Cook put together a solid performance for Iowa, leading the team in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Ohio State held the Hawkeyes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.478 (below their season average of 0.553). Iowa, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.9 vs. 28.6).
The Terrapins are trying to rebound after their 91-61 loss to the No. 1 Michigan State Spartans in their last matchup. Anthony Cowan was the games leading scorer with 26 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Michigan State had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 16.9). Maryland, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (13-15; 86.7 percent).
Maryland does a solid job at getting to the charity stripe. They rank 12th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.316), but Iowa is among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents off the line (ranking 19th by allowing a FTA rate of 0.170). Also, the Hawkeyes rank 54th in offensive efficiency (113.4), while the Terrapins rank 41st in defensive efficiency (94.1).
Of Iowa’s 13 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Maryland’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. The Terrapins hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-4 SU and 7-5-1 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 8-6 SU and 5-6-2 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Hawkeyes, it’s been Cook, who has averaged 19.2 points and 5.6 rebounds, while the Terrapins have received solid contributions from Kevin Huerter (14.8 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.8 assists).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. The Hawkeyes won the last contest 83-69. The Hawkeyes played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.0 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 40.5. For those same stats, the Terrapins were 18.4 and 32.4, respectively.
Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Maryland Terrapins ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – Iowa, O/U – Over
- The Hawkeyes average 5.5 blocks per game, which ranks 21st in the NCAA. The Terrapins rank 59th in blocks allowed per game (2.9).
- Iowa averages 22.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 135th in the NCAA. Maryland ranks 171st in three pointers allowed per game (23.0).
- On the road, Iowa is 3-4-1 ATS with 5 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Maryland is 5-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 3 unders.
- Iowa ranks second in assists per game (20.4) while Maryland ranks 99th (14.7).
- The Terrapins rank 21st in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while the Hawkeyes rank 104th (34.1).
- Iowa averages 5.9 steals per game, which ranks 136th in the nation. Maryland ranks 179th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Maryland is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iowa is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Terrapins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.8, down from 12.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawkeyes have scored an average of 83.8 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (3.4 above their season average).