The Iowa State Cyclones (5-2) and the Iowa Hawkeyes (3-3) square off at James H. Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones look to extend their five-game winning streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 152.5 points with Iowa State opening as a 6.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 7, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Iowa State Cyclones Odds Preview
The last time the Hawkeyes played, they lost to the Indiana Hoosiers, 77-64. Iowa’s Brady Ellingson put together a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 16 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Indiana’s 0.227 free throw rate was their largest strength over Iowa, who had a rate of 0.062. The Hoosiers mark was below their season average of 0.259, while the Hawkeyes was below their season average of 0.293.
The Cyclones come in on a high note after topping the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last matchup, 94-80. With 28 points on 9-for-15 shooting, Lindell Wigginton was the top scorer from either team. Iowa State played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.182 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 15.6). For those same stats, Northern Illinois had marks of 0.104 and 14.2, respectively.
Getting to the line could be scarce for Iowa State in this showdown. The Cyclones rank 323rd in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.198, while Iowa ranks 26th in FTA rate allowed (0.187) dating back to last season.
Both of these teams tend to finish under the O/U total. Iowa games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of games featuring Iowa State have gone under. The Cyclones hold a sizable advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 5-2 SU and 2-5 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 3-3 SU and 1-4-1 ATS.
The Hawkeyes won the sole game against the Cyclones last season, 78-64. Iowa did a great job of making free throws (17-24; 70.8 percent). Iowa State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.9 vs. 16.5).
Iowa Hawkeyes at Iowa State Cyclones Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iowa State, ATS Winner – Iowa State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Cyclones rank 66th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while the Hawkeyes rank 258th in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- Iowa ranks 66th in blocks per game (4.2) while Iowa State ranks 143rd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Iowa State ranks 54th in assists per game (15.5) while Iowa ranks 297th in assists allowed per game (16.9).
- The Cyclones rank 29th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while the Hawkeyes rank 263rd (7.8).
- Iowa ranks 36th in rebounds per game (38.9) while Iowa State ranks 261st in rebounds allowed per game (37.6).