Offense meets defense when the Iowa Hawkeyes (10-9, 1-5 Big 10) visit Rutgers to take on the Scarlet Knights (11-8, 1-5 Big 10). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 142 points with Rutgers set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Odds Preview
The Hawkeyes were victorious over the Illinois Fighting Illini in their last matchup, 104-97. With 21 points and 13 rebounds, Tyler Cook had a good game for Iowa. The Hawkeyes made 33 of their 40 free throws (82.5 percent) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 54.8 (above their season average of 33.8).
In the Scarlet Knights last matchup, they were defeated by the Ohio State Buckeyes, 68-46. With 13 points and five rebounds, Rutgers Corey Sanders played well. Ohio State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.4 (above their season average of 29.0). Rutgers, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 13.3).
Rutgers could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Rutgers ranks 19th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.7 percent), while Iowa forces the 42nd-fewest turnovers (16.6 percent). Furthermore, the 48th-ranked offense of the Hawkeyes (offensive efficiency of 113.6) will battle against the seventh-ranked defense of the Scarlet Knights (defensive efficiency of 89.6).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving Iowa have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while Rutgers games have finished under 63.6 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (10-9 for Iowa; 11-8 for Rutgers), but the Scarlet Knights have the edge against the spread (ATS). Rutgers is 7-3-1 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 6-7-2.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Hawkeyes won both games last season. In the last contest, Iowa won 83-63. The Hawkeyes played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.200 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.592. The Scarlet Knights were 0.141 and 0.422, respectively, for those same stats.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Rutgers Scarlet Knights Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rutgers, ATS Winner – Rutgers, O/U – Under
- The Scarlet Knights rank 48th in steals per game (7.5) while the Hawkeyes rank 157th (5.5).
- Iowa ranks 165th in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while Rutgers ranks 265th (15.6).
- Iowa is 4-5-1 ATS on the road, while Rutgers is 6-1-1 ATS at home.
- The Hawkeyes have 7 overs and 3 unders in 10 road games.
- In 8 home games, the Scarlet Knights have 6 unders and 2 overs.
- Iowa ranks sixth in assists per game (18.9) while Rutgers ranks 240th (11.2).
- The Hawkeyes rank 24th in rebounds per game (40.3) while the Scarlet Knights rank 222nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.6).
- Iowa averages 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 32nd in the nation. Rutgers ranks 153rd in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- Rutgers is 2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iowa is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Scarlet Knights have been outscored by an average of 11.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Rutgers has defeated opponents by an average of 6.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawkeyes have scored an average of 84.8 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 86.0 points per game (9.8 above their season average).