Offense meets defense when the Iowa Hawkeyes (12-12, 3-8 Big 10) visit Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions (15-9, 5-6 Big 10). Action starts at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Free Preview
In the Hawkeyes last matchup, they were victorious over the Minnesota Golden Gophers, 94-80. Jordan Bohannon led Iowa in scoring with 20 points on 6-for-11 shooting. The Hawkeyes made 16 of their 21 free throws (76.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.650 (above their season average of 0.545).
The Nittany Lions are trying to rebound after their 76-68 loss to the No. 5 Michigan State Spartans in their last game. Tony Carr was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 9-for-24 shooting. Michigan State did a great job of making free throws (20-25; 80.0 percent). Penn State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 16.1).
Points at the line could be scarce for Penn State in this showdown. The Nittany Lions rank 238th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.223, while Iowa ranks 54th in FTA rate allowed (0.196). Also, the Hawkeyes rank 34th in offensive efficiency (113.9), while the Nittany Lions rank 32nd in defensive efficiency (95.8).
These teams have already met once this season. The Nittany Lions won 77-73. The Nittany Lions 16.9 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Hawkeyes, who had a rate of 21.9. Tyler Cook had a double-double in the loss with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Penn State Nittany Lions Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Iowa, ATS Winner – Iowa, O/U – Over
- The Hawkeyes average 4.5 blocks per game, which ranks 38th in the NCAA. The Nittany Lions rank 120th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Iowa ranks 40th in rebounds per game (39.0) while Penn State ranks 110th (36.5).
- Penn State ranks 46th in assists allowed per game (11.6) while Iowa ranks 229th (15.7).
- The Nittany Lions rank 25th in steals per game (7.9) while the Hawkeyes rank 172nd (5.5).
- Penn State ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while Iowa ranks 164th (22.7).
- The Nittany Lions have been outscored by an average of 1.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Penn State has defeated opponents by an average of 8.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawkeyes have scored an average of 78.2 points per game (3.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 82.4 points per game (4.9 above their season average).