Offense meets defense when the Iowa Hawkeyes (12-14, 3-10 Big 10) visit Ohio State to take on the No. 14 Buckeyes (21-5, 12-1 Big 10). Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Ohio State Buckeyes Free Preview
In the Hawkeyes last matchup, they lost a tough one against the No. 4 Michigan State Spartans, 96-93. With 26 points on 11-for-22 shooting, Tyler Cook was the top scorer from either team. Michigan State did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (24-29; 82.8 percent). Iowa, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 16.1).
The Buckeyes come in on a high note after edging the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers in their last contest, 64-63. With 18 points on 9-for-18 shooting, Keita Bates-Diop led Ohio State in scoring. The Buckeyes held the Boilermakers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.4 (below their season average of 29.3). The Boilermakers also had a turnover percentage of 17.8 (above their season average of 14.2).
Ohio State could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense faces off against one of the nations worst defenses. The Buckeyes currently rank 51st in offensive efficiency, while Iowa ranks 304th in defensive efficiency. Also, the Hawkeyes rank 50th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.0 percent), while the Buckeyes rank 25th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.1 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Hawkeyes, it’s been Cook, who has averaged 17.2 points and 6.6 rebounds, while the Buckeyes have received solid contributions from Jae’Sean Tate (14.2 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Buckeyes won 92-81. Ohio State’s 0.583 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Iowa, who had a rate of 0.478. Bates-Diop recorded a double-double with 27 points and 13 rebounds.
Iowa Hawkeyes at Ohio State Buckeyes Odds Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Ohio State, ATS Winner – Ohio State, O/U – Over
- The Buckeyes rank 21st in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Hawkeyes rank 70th (3.0).
- Iowa ranks 202nd in three pointers attempted per game (20.7) while Ohio State ranks 238th (19.2).
- Ohio State ranks 49th in assists allowed per game (11.7) while Iowa ranks 241st (15.8).
- The Buckeyes rank 25th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while the Hawkeyes rank 157th (6.8).
- Ohio State ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while Iowa ranks 110th (33.8).
- The Buckeyes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, down from 10.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawkeyes have scored an average of 82.8 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.6 points per game (6.3 above their season average).