MAAC foes will collide when the Siena Saints (7-19, 3-10 MAAC) challenge the Iona Gaels (16-10, 10-4 MAAC) at Times Union Center. Iona is an 8-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 143 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
Iona Gaels at Siena Saints Free Preview
The Gaels beat the Saint Peter’s Peacocks in their last contest, 86-77. With 18 points and six rebounds, E.J. Crawford had a solid game for Iona. The Gaels made 19 of their 24 free throws (79.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.637 (above their season average of 0.542).
The last time the Saints played, they were defeated by the Canisius Golden Griffins, 89-65. Prince Oduro was Siena’s leading scorer with 12 points on 4-for-9 shooting. Canisius had a turnover percentage of 12.8 (better than their season average of 17.2). Siena, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (21-28; 75.0 percent).
The offensive glass should be a major advantage for Siena in this matchup. The Saints are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 81st in offensive rebounding percentage at 32.4 percent. Meanwhile, Iona ranks 225th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 70.5 percent. It will also be a battle of contrasting paces as the fast-breaking Gaels rank 60th in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Saints rank 251st.
Of Iona’s 22 games with betting action, 11 have finished over the O/U total, while 12 of Siena’s 18 games have finished under the projected point total. The Gaels come into this game with a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-10 SU and 12-9-1 ATS, while the Saints are 7-19 SU and 6-12 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 140 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 150. The Gaels won 71-69, but were unable to cover as 13-point favorites. The Gaels dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 28.2 and a turnover percentage of 11.6. The Saints were 15.4 and 21.2, respectively, for those same stats. Roland Griffin was a standout player in the game, putting up 15 points and eight rebounds.
Iona Gaels at Siena Saints Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Iona, O/U – Over
- The Saints rank 135th in rebounds per game (35.7) while the Gaels rank 218th in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- Iona ranks 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Siena ranks 100th (3.3).
- Iona is 9-4-1 ATS on the road with 8 overs and 6 unders.
- Siena is 3-5 ATS at home with 6 unders and 2 overs.
- Iona ranks 34th in assists per game (16.5) while Siena ranks 253rd (11.2).
- The Gaels rank 38th in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while the Saints rank 256th (18.6).
- Iona ranks 92nd in steals per game (6.8) while Siena ranks 235th (4.7).
- Siena is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iona is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Saints average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 7.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Gaels have scored an average of 84.2 points per game (4.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.6 points per game (3.9 above their season average).