MAAC foes will collide when the Fairfield Stags (7-13, 2-7 MAAC) take on the Iona Gaels (13-8, 7-2 MAAC) at Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard. Iona opened as a 4-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 154 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018.
Iona Gaels at Fairfield Stags Odds Preview
The Gaels were victorious over the Manhattan Jaspers in their last matchup, 78-65. Schadrac Casimir was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Iona dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 15.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.540). For those same stats, Manhattan was 16.2 and 0.467, respectively.
In the Stags last game, they were defeated by the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 75-70. Jesus Cruz was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Quinnipiac was lights out from beyond the arc (10-25; 40.0 percent). Fairfield, on the other hand, forced the Bobcats into a turnover percentage of 25.1 (above their season average of 15.8).
Fairfield may have trouble getting to the free throw line in this battle. The Stags currently rank 259th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.215, while Iona ranks 75th in FTA rate allowed (0.202).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Iona games have gone under 58.8 percent of the time, while games including Fairfield have gone over 56.3 percent of the time. The Gaels come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-8 SU and 10-6-1 ATS, while the Stags are 7-13 SU and 6-10 ATS.
Tyler Nelson has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Fairfield, averaging 23.4 points, 4.2 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 149 points, which was under the projected point total of 155. The Gaels won 84-65, covering as 6-point favorites. The Gaels dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.345. For those same stats, the Stags recorded marks of 11.8 and 0.105, respectively. Deyshonee Much was the games top overall scorer with 32 points.
Iona Gaels vs. Fairfield Stags Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Fairfield, O/U – Over
- The Gaels rank 193rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.3) while the Stags rank 233rd (37.8).
- Iona is 7-3-1 ATS on the road, while Fairfield is 4-2 ATS at home.
- The Gaels have 6 unders and 5 overs in 11 road games.
- The Stags have 4 overs and 2 unders in 6 home games.
- Iona averages 26.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 38th in the NCAA. Fairfield ranks 164th in three pointers allowed per game (22.6).
- The Stags average 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 93rd in the NCAA. The Gaels rank 192nd in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- Iona ranks 31st in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Fairfield ranks 115th (6.3).
- Fairfield is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Iona is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Stags have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. For the season, Fairfield has lost by an average of 3.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Gaels have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.0 points per game (3.8 below their season average).