The Indiana State Sycamores (6-8, 1-1 MVC) look to end their five-game road losing streak when they clash against the Loyola Chicago Ramblers (11-3, 1-1 MVC), who will attempt to extend their nine-game home winning streak. Loyola Chicago is an 8-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 138 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Indiana State Sycamores vs. Loyola Chicago Ramblers Free Preview
The Sycamores lost a tough one against the Illinois State Redbirds in their last contest, 84-81. Brenton Scott had a solid game for Indiana State, putting up 15 points, six rebounds and five steals. Illinois State’s rebounding was their biggest strength. The Redbirds had more offensive rebounds (14 vs. nine) and total rebounds (42 vs. 40).
The last time the Ramblers played, they defeated the Evansville Aces, 66-59. With 19 points on 6-for-9 shooting, Marques Townes led Loyola Chicago in scoring. Loyola Chicago dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.364 (above their season average of 0.258) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.568 (below their season average of 0.587). For those same stats, Evansville was 0.154 and 0.490, respectively.
The sharp-shooting offense of Loyola Chicago (12th in the nation with an effective field goal percentage 0.586) will battle against the mid-tier defense of Indiana State (167th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.498). The Ramblers should have the edge on that side of the ball. It will also be a matchup of opposite paces as the fast-breaking Sycamores rank 31st in possessions per game, while the more methodical Ramblers rank 299th.
Of Indiana State’s 12 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 5 of Loyola Chicago’s 10 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Ramblers have a substantial advantage. They are 11-3 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Sycamores are 6-8 SU and 5-6-1 ATS.
Scott has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Indiana State, averaging 17.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Ramblers won both contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Loyola Chicago won 64-46. Loyola Chicago made eight of their 17 three pointers (47.1 percent), while Indiana State was just 3-15 (20.0 percent).
Indiana State Sycamores at Loyola Chicago Ramblers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Loyola Chicago, ATS Winner – Indiana State, O/U – Over
- The Ramblers rank 36th in assists allowed per game (11.3) while the Sycamores rank 92nd (12.6).
- Indiana State ranks 84th in blocks per game (3.8) while Loyola Chicago ranks 86th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Indiana State is 2-4-1 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Loyola Chicago is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- Loyola Chicago ranks 29th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while Indiana State ranks 178th (36.6).
- The Sycamores rank 102nd in three pointers attempted per game (23.4) while the Ramblers rank 243rd (17.9).
- Indiana State ranks 45th in steals per game (7.7) while Loyola Chicago ranks 161st (5.4).
- Loyola Chicago is 2-2 ATS with 4 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana State is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Ramblers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, down from 8.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sycamores have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (1.6 below their season average).