The Valparaiso Crusaders (11-12, 2-8 MVC), who are currently on a five-game skid, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Indiana State Sycamores (10-12, 5-5 MVC) to Athletics-Recreation Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 144.5 points with Valparaiso opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Indiana State Sycamores at Valparaiso Crusaders Free Preview
The Sycamores lost to the Bradley Braves in their last game, 81-73. With 19 points on 7-for-14 shooting, Jordan Barnes led Indiana State in scoring. Bradley had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (35.7 vs. 27.3). Indiana State, meanwhile, forced the Braves into a turnover percentage of 23.4 (above their season average of 18.4).
In the Crusaders last game, they were beaten by the Illinois State Redbirds, 76-65. Bakari Evelyn was Valparaiso’s high scorer with 20 points on 7-for-18 shooting. Illinois State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.4 (above their season average of 25.0). Valparaiso, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.6 vs. 18.0).
The physical Valparaiso offense could be living from the charity stripe in this battle. The Crusaders rank 59th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.277, while Indiana State ranks 318th in FTA rate allowed (0.299).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Indiana State games have gone over 70.0 percent of the time, while 65.0 percent of games including Valparaiso have gone under. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Sycamores are 10-12 SU and 9-9-2 ATS, while the Crusaders are 11-12 SU and 9-11 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 137 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 140.5. The Sycamores won 73-64, covering as 1-point underdogs. The Sycamores played a flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.452 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.0. For those same stats, the Crusaders recorded marks of 0.208 and 20.7, respectively. Qiydar Davis had a standout performance in the victory, producing 11 points and five rebounds.
Indiana State Sycamores vs. Valparaiso Crusaders Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Indiana State, ATS Winner – Indiana State, O/U – Over
- On the road, Indiana State is 5-5-1 ATS with 8 overs and 3 unders.
- Valparaiso is 3-4 ATS at home with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Valparaiso ranks 32nd in steals per game (7.8) while Indiana State ranks 118th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- The Crusaders rank 50th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Sycamores rank 113th (3.6).
- Valparaiso is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana State is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Crusaders have been outscored by an average of 9.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Valparaiso has defeated opponents by an average of 2.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Sycamores have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (1.0 below their season average).