MVC foes will collide when the Illinois State Redbirds (7-6, 1-0 MVC) meet the Indiana State Sycamores (6-7, 1-0 MVC) at Redbird Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143 points with Illinois State set as a 6.5-point favorite. Action begins at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Indiana State Sycamores at Illinois State Redbirds ATS Preview
In the Sycamores last matchup, they were victorious over the Valparaiso Crusaders, 73-64. With 11 points and five rebounds, Qiydar Davis played well for Indiana State. Indiana State dominated every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.452 (above their season average of 0.268) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.0 (below their season average of 26.1). For those same stats, Valparaiso recorded marks of 0.208 and 20.7, respectively.
The Redbirds will look to keep it rolling after defeating the Evansville Aces in their last contest, 72-66. Illinois State was lifted by Milik Yarbrough, who was the games high scorer with 28 points on 8-for-14 shooting. The Redbirds held the Aces to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.7 (below their season average of 28.7) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.506).
It could be a tough game for Illinois State on the offensive glass. The Redbirds rank 327th in offensive rebounding percentage (22.4 percent), while Indiana State ranks 51st in defensive rebounding percentage (75.0 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish over the O/U total. Indiana State games have finished over 63.6 percent of the time, while games involving Illinois State have gone over 70.0 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Redbirds have a substantial advantage. They are 7-6 SU and 5-5 ATS, while the Sycamores are 6-7 SU and 4-6-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Sycamores, it’s been Brenton Scott, who has averaged 15.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals, while the Redbirds have gotten solid contributions from Yarbrough (22.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 5.0 assists).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Redbirds won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Illinois State won 71-66. The Redbirds dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.490 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6. For those same stats, the Sycamores recorded marks of 0.175 and 17.1, respectively.
Indiana State Sycamores vs. Illinois State Redbirds Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Illinois State, ATS Winner – Indiana State, O/U – Over
- The Sycamores average 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 70th in the nation. The Redbirds rank 107th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Indiana State is 1-4-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Illinois State is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Indiana State ranks 134th in rebounds per game (36.5) while Illinois State ranks 256th in rebounds allowed per game (41.1).
- The Redbirds rank 16th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while the Sycamores rank 124th (6.7).
- Illinois State ranks 30th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while Indiana State ranks 112th in three pointers allowed per game (21.7).
- Illinois State is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana State is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Redbirds average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.4, up from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sycamores have scored an average of 74.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average).