The Indiana Pacers (44-26), the NBA’s top scoring defense and 3.5-point underdogs, will meet the Portland Trail Blazers (42-27) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 213.5 points and it will air on ESPN at 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, March 18, 2019.
Indiana Pacers at Portland Trail Blazers Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last outing. The Pacers (7-point underdogs) were defeated by the Denver Nuggets, 102-100, while the Trail Blazers (2.5-point underdogs) fell to the San Antonio Spurs, 108-103. The Indiana game went 12 points under the projected point total of 214, while the Portland game finished 10.5 points under the projected point total of 221.5.
Indiana did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (26-37; 70.3 percent) while Portland held San Antonio to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.8 (below their season average of 20.9). Jusuf Nurkic had a good game for Portland with 24 points and 16 rebounds. Thaddeus Young played well for Indiana, recording 18 points and 10 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Al-Farouq Aminu led the Trail Blazers to a 103-93 win. He registered a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The two teams combined to score 196 points, which was well under the projected point total of 215, and Portland covered as a 4-point underdog. The Trail Blazers’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Pacers. Portland had a rate of 24.3, while Indiana posted a mark of 14.6.
Vegas has a tendency to place the total high when the Pacers are involved, as 42 of their 70 games have gone under the total. Indiana comes into the contest with records of 44-26 straight up (SU) and 35-34-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Indiana, a little over half of Trail Blazers games have finished over the total. Further, Portland is 42-27 SU and 39-30 ATS.
It could be a sloppy game for the Portland offense. Portland ranks 14th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 13.2 percent), while the disruptive defense of Indiana forces the second-most turnovers in the league (15.2 percent).
Pacers at Trail Blazers Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Under
- The Pacers average 14.7 fast break points per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. The Trail Blazers rank 18th in fast break points allowed per game (14.1).
- Indiana ranks third in steals per game (8.8) while Portland ranks 25th (6.7).
- The Pacers rank eighth in assists per game (25.9) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (22.8).
- Portland ranks 17th in three pointers attempted per game (30.7) while Indiana ranks 28th (25.6).
- Indiana ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (44.7) while Portland ranks 10th (47.5).
- The Pacers rank third in points off turnovers per game (19.3) while the Trail Blazers rank 24th (15.1).
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in second chance points per game (14.7) while the Pacers rank 15th (13.1).
- Indiana ranks 18th in blocks per game (5.0) while Portland ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Portland ranks third in rebounds per game (47.9) while Indiana ranks 24th (43.0).
- Indiana is 23-3 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Portland is 10-1.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 40-22 and the Pacers are 39-14.
- Indiana is 14-19-1 ATS on the road, while Portland is 21-13 ATS at home.
- The Pacers have 17 overs and 17 unders in 34 road games.
- In 34 home games, the Trail Blazers have 19 overs and 15 unders.
- In their last five games, Indiana and Portland are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Pacers have 5 unders over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers have 3 unders and 2 overs
- During their last five games, the Pacers have scored an average of 99.6 points per game (8.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.8 points per game (1.9 above their season average).
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 3.6 for the season.