Central Division foes will collide when the Detroit Pistons (18-14) square off against the Indiana Pacers (19-14) at Little Caesars Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208.5 points with Detroit opening as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 26, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Indiana Pacers vs. Detroit Pistons Free Preview
In the Pacers last game, they were victorious over the Brooklyn Nets, 123-119. Victor Oladipo was the games leading scorer with 38 points on 13-for-23 shooting. Indiana played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 7.4 (better than their season average of 12.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.578 (above their season average of 0.536). Brooklyn was 8.4 and 0.510, respectively, for those same stats.
The Pistons hope to keep it rolling after narrowly defeating the New York Knicks in their last contest, 104-101. Andre Drummond played a pivotal role for Detroit with 18 points and 15 rebounds. The Pistons knocked down 18 of their 25 free throws (72.0 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 10.0 (better than their season average of 12.7).
Detroit may have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this matchup. The Pistons rank 27th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.169, while Indiana ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.154).
Of Indiana’s 33 games, 17 have finished under the O/U total, while 18 of Detroit’s 32 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (19-14 for Indiana; 18-14 for Detroit), but the Pacers hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Indiana is 20-13 ATS, while the Pistons are 18-12-2.
These two teams have already met three times this season, with the Pistons leading the series two games to one. In the most recent matchup, Drummond recorded 23 points and 13 rebounds and the Pistons, who were 5-point underdogs, beat the Pacers 104-98. The two teams combined to score 202 points, which was 5.5 points below the projected point total of 207.5 points. Detroit had a better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 11.7). Indiana, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (19-25; 76.0 percent).
Indiana Pacers vs. Detroit Pistons ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.3) while the Pacers rank 16th (11.0).
- Indiana ranks third in points off turnovers per game (19.1) while Detroit ranks ninth (17.8).
- Indiana ranks 12th in assists per game (22.8) while Detroit ranks 24th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Detroit ranks 19th in rebounds per game (42.4) while Indiana ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (43.5).
- Indiana is 10-5 ATS on the road with 8 overs and 7 unders.
- At home, Detroit is 7-7-1 ATS with 8 overs and 7 unders.
- When allowing under 100 points, Indiana is 9-0 and Detroit is 9-4.
- The Pacers are 17-6 when they score above 100 points, while the Pistons are 16-4.
- The Pacers rank 17th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Pistons rank 27th (3.4).
- Detroit ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while Indiana ranks 25th (13.6).
- The Pistons rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.7) while the Pacers rank 26th (46.6).
- The Pacers rank fifth in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Pistons rank seventh (7.0).
- Detroit ranks 10th in three pointers allowed per game (27.4) while Indiana ranks 25th (31.0).
- Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pacers have scored an average of 109.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.4 points per game (1.5 below their season average).