The Charlotte Hornets (21-29) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they challenge the Indiana Pacers (29-23). Charlotte opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 211 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Indiana Pacers vs. Charlotte Hornets Free Preview
The Pacers were victorious over the Memphis Grizzlies in their last matchup, 105-101. With 15 points and 11 rebounds, Myles Turner had a good performance for Indiana. Indiana dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.170) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (worse than their season average of 11.9). For those same stats, Memphis was 0.134 and 16.9, respectively.
In the Hornets last matchup, they topped the Atlanta Hawks, 123-110. Charlotte received a boost from Kemba Walker, who was the top scorer from either team with 38 points on 12-for-20 shooting. Charlotte dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 22.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.494). Atlanta put up marks of 11.8 and 0.584, respectively, for those same stats.
A focal point for the Charlotte offense is getting to the free throw line. The Hornets rank second in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.230), but Indiana is among the best in the NBA at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking third by yielding a FTA rate of 0.164).
Of Indiana’s 52 games, 29 have finished under the projected point total, while 26 of Charlotte’s 50 games have finished under the projected point total. The Pacers hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 29-23 SU and 28-24 ATS, while the Hornets are 21-29 SU and 20-26-4 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Pacers, it’s been Domantas Sabonis, who has averaged 14.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while the Hornets have received great contributions from Dwight Howard (19.2 points, 14.8 rebounds and 4.2 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 201 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 211.5. The Pacers won 105-96, covering as 2-point favorites. Indiana had a better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 14.8). Charlotte, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.6 vs. 17.1). Victor Oladipo was the games leading scorer with 25 points.
Indiana Pacers at Charlotte Hornets Free Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Pacers, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.6) while the Pacers rank 20th (13.0).
- Charlotte averages 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Indiana ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Indiana ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.3) while Charlotte ranks 19th (16.0).
- Charlotte averages 43.2 points in the paint per game, which ranks 18th in the NBA. Indiana ranks 21st in points allowed in the paint per game (46.0).
- Indiana is 13-11 ATS on the road with 13 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- Charlotte is 12-15-1 ATS at home with 15 unders and 13 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Indiana is 16-2 and Charlotte is 8-3.
- The Hornets are 20-11 when they score above 100 points, while the Pacers are 25-10.
- The Pacers rank 16th in assists per game (22.5) while the Hornets rank 27th (20.7).
- Indiana ranks third in fast break points per game (15.2) while Charlotte ranks 26th (9.5).
- The Hornets rank second in rebounds per game (46.3) while the Pacers rank 23rd (41.6).
- The Hornets rank 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.7) while the Pacers rank 25th (30.8).
- Indiana ranks ninth in steals per game (8.2) while Charlotte ranks 29th (6.7).
- Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Hornets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, up from 0.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pacers have scored an average of 109.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.0 points per game (0.3 below their season average).