The Boston Celtics (46-20), the leagues top shooting defense, will challenge the Indiana Pacers (38-28) at TD Garden. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 208.5 points with Boston set as a 6.5-point favorite. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 11, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Midwest – Indiana.
Indiana Pacers at Boston Celtics Free Preview
In the Pacers last contest, they easily got past the Atlanta Hawks, 112-87. With 17 points and 12 rebounds, Indiana’s Myles Turner played well. Indiana played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.7 (above their season average of 22.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.529). For those same stats, Atlanta had marks of 13.0 and 0.476, respectively.
The Celtics will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last outing, 117-109. Boston received a boost from Kyrie Irving, who led the team in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-15 shooting. Boston played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.230 (above their season average of 0.185) and a turnover percentage of 10.0 (better than their season average of 12.2). For those same stats, Minnesota put up marks of 0.096 and 10.7, respectively.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the leagues slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Boston currently ranks 22nd in possessions per game (98.2) and Indiana is 21st (98.2).
Of Indiana’s 66 games, 38 have finished under the O/U total, while 34 of Boston’s 66 games have finished over the O/U total. The Celtics have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (46-20 vs. 38-28) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (39-24-3 vs. 37-29).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Pacers, it’s been Bojan Bogdanovic, who has averaged 20.4 points and 1.2 steals, while the Celtics have gotten great contributions from Terry Rozier (14.6 points).
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Celtics leading the series two games to one. In the most recent contest, Victor Oladipo scored a game-high 35 points and the Pacers beat the Celtics 97-91, covering as 4-point underdogs. He also had 10 rebounds and five steals. The two teams combined for 188 points, which was 15.5 points below the projected point total of 203.5 points. The Pacers played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 and a free throw rate of 0.217. The Celtics were 23.1 and 0.180, respectively, for those same stats.
Indiana Pacers at Boston Celtics Odds Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.4) while the Pacers rank 25th (24.5).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.7) while Indiana ranks 11th (22.8).
- Boston ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.3) while Indiana ranks 21st (5.1).
- Boston averages 12.0 second chance points per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Indiana ranks 19th in second chance points allowed per game (12.8).
- Indiana is 17-14 ATS on the road with 18 unders, 12 overs and 1 push.
- Boston is 16-15-3 ATS at home with 18 overs and 16 unders.
- Indiana is 23-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Boston is 29-3.
- The Pacers are 31-14 when they reach the century mark, while the Celtics are 35-9.
- The Pacers rank 14th in points in the paint per game (44.3) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.3).
- Indiana ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.3) while Boston ranks 27th (14.7).
- The Pacers rank third in fast break points per game (15.1) while the Celtics rank 25th (9.7).
- The Celtics average 44.4 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Pacers rank 14th in rebounds allowed per game (42.8).
- Indiana ranks fourth in steals per game (8.6) while Boston ranks 25th (7.1).
- Boston is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 4-1 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.0, up from 4.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pacers have scored an average of 97.8 points per game (8.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 94.2 points per game (10.3 below their season average).