The Atlanta Hawks (7-23) will be at home in Philips Arena when they go head-to-head against the Indiana Pacers (17-14). Indiana opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 213.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks Free Preview
The Pacers lost a close one to the Boston Celtics in their last outing, 112-111. Victor Oladipo put together a good game for Indiana, leading both teams in scoring with 38 points on 13-for-23 shooting. Boston was lights out from beyond the arc (16-26; 61.5 percent). Indiana, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (30-38; 78.9 percent).
In the Hawks last matchup, they beat the Miami Heat, 110-104. Atlanta was lifted by Taurean Prince, who led the team in scoring with 24 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Atlanta played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.0 (better than their season average of 14.1) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.7 (above their season average of 21.1). For those same stats, Miami was 17.1 and 21.6, respectively.
Points at the line could be rare for Atlanta in this contest. The Hawks currently rank 22nd in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.183, while Indiana ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.151).
Of Indiana’s 31 games, 16 have finished under the O/U total, while 16 of Atlanta’s 30 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pacers have a significant advantage. They are 17-14 SU and 19-12 ATS, while the Hawks are 7-23 SU and 16-13-1 ATS.
Oladipo has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 30.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Pacers won two out of three games played against each other last season. In the last game, Indiana won 104-86. The Pacers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 10.0 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6. The Hawks were 18.3 and 19.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pacers, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Over
- The Pacers rank 15th in second chance points per game (12.1) while the Hawks rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (14.1).
- Atlanta ranks 18th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.3) while Indiana ranks 26th (47.0).
- Atlanta ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (4.9) while Indiana ranks 26th (5.5).
- Indiana averages 25.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 22nd in the league. Atlanta ranks 29th in three pointers allowed per game (32.1).
- On the road, Indiana is 9-5 ATS with 8 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Atlanta is 7-7 ATS with 9 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Atlanta is 1-3 and Indiana is 8-0.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Pacers are 15-6 and the Hawks are 7-13.
- The Pacers rank 18th in rebounds per game (42.7) while the Hawks rank 27th (39.7).
- Indiana ranks third in fast break points per game (15.5) while Atlanta ranks 22nd (9.3).
- The Pacers average 19.3 points off turnovers per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Hawks rank 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- The Hawks rank fifth in steals per game (8.7) while the Pacers rank 12th (8.1).
- Indiana averages 22.6 assists per game, which ranks 12th in the league. Atlanta ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (26.0).
- Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, down from 5.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pacers have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average).