Big 10 foes will clash when the Wisconsin Badgers (8-7, 1-1 Big 10) take on the Indiana Hoosiers (8-6, 1-1 Big 10) at Kohl Center. Wisconsin is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 132.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Wisconsin Badgers Odds Preview
The last time the Hoosiers played, they won big over the Youngstown State Penguins, 79-51. Juwan Morgan was the games high scorer with 16 points on 7-for-9 shooting. Indiana played a perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.271 (above their season average of 0.254) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.534 (above their season average of 0.519). For those same stats, Youngstown State put up marks of 0.113 and 0.355, respectively.
The Badgers hope to keep it rolling after blowing out the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks in their last matchup, 82-53. With 18 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Brevin Pritzl was the top scorer from either team. Wisconsin dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.175 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.1 (above their season average of 27.5). Massachusetts-Lowell was 0.042 and 17.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the nations slowest-paced teams clash. Wisconsin currently ranks 343rd in possessions per game (64.3) and Indiana is 260th (68.6). Also, the Hoosiers rank 47th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.0 percent), while the Badgers rank 35th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.7 percent).
Of Indiana’s 14 games, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 7 of Wisconsin’s 14 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (8-6 for Indiana; 8-7 for Wisconsin), but the Hoosiers have the edge against the spread (ATS). Indiana is 6-6-2 ATS, while the Badgers are 5-9.
Morgan has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 17.8 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Badgers won all three contests last season. In the most recent game, Wisconsin won 70-60. The Badgers played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 and a free throw rate of 0.105. For those same stats, the Hoosiers put up marks of 16.7 and 0.089, respectively.
Indiana Hoosiers at Wisconsin Badgers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wisconsin, ATS Winner – Indiana, O/U – Over
- On the road, Indiana is 1-2-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Wisconsin is 4-5 ATS at home with 7 overs and 2 unders.
- Wisconsin ranks seventh in three pointers allowed per game (15.6) while Indiana ranks 183rd (23.5).
- The Hoosiers rank 74th in rebounds per game (38.2) while the Badgers rank 249th (31.7).
- Indiana ranks 30th in blocks per game (5.3) while Wisconsin ranks 123rd (3.1).
- Wisconsin is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Badgers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 4.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hoosiers have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average).