The No. 9 Michigan State Spartans (16-3, 4-2 Big 10), the nations top shooting defense, will meet the Indiana Hoosiers (11-7, 4-2 Big 10) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Michigan State is a 15.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 140 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Michigan State Spartans Free Preview
The Hoosiers had no trouble getting past the Northwestern Wildcats in their last matchup, 66-46. Robert Johnson was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Indiana played a nearly perfect game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.509 (below their season average of 0.511) and a turnover percentage of 14.9 (better than their season average of 15.6). For those same stats, Northwestern had marks of 0.330 and 22.1, respectively.
In the Spartans last game, they were dismantled by the Michigan Wolverines, 82-72. With 19 points, six rebounds and five assists, Miles Bridges put together a solid game for Michigan State. Michigan had a turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 13.4). Michigan State, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (27-32; 84.4 percent).
The high-powered offense of Michigan State (fifth in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 121.3) will clash against the mid-tier defense of Indiana (198th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 103.3). The Spartans should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Indiana’s 18 games, nine have finished over the projected point total, while 10 of Michigan State’s 17 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spartans come into this game with a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-3 SU and 11-8 ATS, while the Hoosiers are 11-7 SU and 9-7-2 ATS.
Johnson has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 15.4 points, 3.8 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Hoosiers won the only contest last season, 82-75. The Hoosiers turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Spartans. Indiana had a rate of 12.0, while Michigan State posted a mark of 15.6.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Indiana, O/U – Over
- The Hoosiers rank 106th in steals per game (6.4) while the Spartans rank 120th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Michigan State is 8-4 ATS at home, while Indiana is 2-3-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 8 of the Spartans 12 home games, while 4 of the Hoosiers 6 road games have gone under.
- Michigan State ranks first in assists per game (21.2) while Indiana ranks 115th (14.2).
- The Spartans average 8.0 blocks per game, which ranks first in the nation. The Hoosiers rank 99th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Michigan State averages 42.4 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the nation. Indiana ranks 94th in rebounds allowed per game (33.9).
- Michigan State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.8, down from 21.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hoosiers have scored an average of 71.0 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.8 points per game (8.9 below their season average).