Big 10 foes will collide when the No. 17 Ohio State Buckeyes (18-5, 9-1 Big 10) challenge the Indiana Hoosiers (12-10, 5-5 Big 10) at Value City Arena. Ohio State opened as an 11-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 139 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Betting Preview
In the Hoosiers last game, they were beaten by the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers, 74-67. With 24 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Juwan Morgan led Indiana in scoring. Purdue did a great job of making free throws (15-18; 83.3 percent). Indiana, on the other hand, held the Boilermakers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.3 (below their season average of 29.9).
The Buckeyes are trying to rebound after their 82-79 loss to the Penn State Nittany Lions in their last matchup. With 17 points and 10 rebounds, Jae’Sean Tate played well for Ohio State. Penn State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.698 (above their season average of 0.526). Ohio State, meanwhile, held the Nittany Lions to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below their season average of 32.0).
The high-octane offense of Ohio State (43rd in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 113.3) will face off against the mid-tier defense of Indiana (221st in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 104.4). The Buckeyes figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Of Indiana’s 22 games, 12 have finished under the O/U total, while 15 of Ohio State’s 21 games have finished under the projected point total. The Buckeyes hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (18-5 vs. 12-10), but the Hoosiers have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (12-8-2 vs. 11-10).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Hoosiers won the lone contest last season, 96-92. Indiana’s 0.276 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Ohio State, who had a rate of 0.226.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Ohio State, ATS Winner – Indiana, O/U – Under
- The Buckeyes rank 33rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.6) while the Hoosiers rank 106th (34.0).
- Indiana averages 19.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 212th in the NCAA. Ohio State ranks 220th in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- Indiana is 3-4-1 ATS on the road with 5 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Ohio State is 5-7 ATS with 9 unders and 3 overs.
- Ohio State ranks 48th in assists allowed per game (11.7) while Indiana ranks 142nd (13.5).
- The Buckeyes rank 21st in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Hoosiers rank 111th (6.3).
- Ohio State ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Indiana ranks 113th (3.6).
- Ohio State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Indiana is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push.
- The Buckeyes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, down from 11.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hoosiers have scored an average of 66.4 points per game (6.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.2 points per game (2.3 below their season average).