The Indiana Hoosiers (8-7, 1-2 Big 10) will attempt to snap the five-game winning streak of Minnesota when they head to Williams Arena to go head-to-head with the Golden Gophers (13-3, 2-1 Big 10). Tip-off is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Preview
In the Hoosiers last game, they were beaten by the Wisconsin Badgers, 71-61. Juwan Morgan put together a solid performance for Indiana, finishing with 17 points. Wisconsin did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (18-24; 75.0 percent). Indiana, meanwhile, forced the Badgers into a turnover percentage of 20.7 (above their season average of 14.9).
The Golden Gophers will look to keep it rolling after topping the Illinois Fighting Illini in their last outing, 77-67. Minnesota received a boost from Jordan Murphy, who was the games high scorer with 17 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Minnesota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.280) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.512). For those same stats, Illinois recorded marks of 0.139 and 0.396, respectively.
The high-powered offense of Minnesota (39th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 115.1) will face off against the porous defense of Indiana (253rd in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 105.9). The Golden Gophers figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Morgan has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 18.0 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Golden Gophers won the only game last season, 75-74. The Golden Gophers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.339 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.435. The Hoosiers were 0.200 and 0.393, respectively, for those same stats.
Indiana Hoosiers vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Indiana, ATS Winner – Indiana, O/U – Under
- The Golden Gophers rank sixth in rebounds per game (43.4) while the Hoosiers rank 106th (37.1).
- Minnesota ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Indiana ranks 138th (7.1).
- The Golden Gophers rank 30th in assists per game (17.3) while the Hoosiers rank 140th (13.9).
- Indiana ranks 32nd in blocks per game (5.1) while Minnesota ranks 141st in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- The Golden Gophers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 13.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hoosiers have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (2.4 below their season average).