MVC foes will battle when the UNI Panthers (10-10, 2-6 MVC) meet the Illinois State Redbirds (10-10, 4-4 MVC) at McLeod Center. UNI is a 6.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 129 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. UNI Panthers Odds Preview
The Redbirds lost big to the Indiana State Sycamores in their last contest, 84-54. Illinois State’s Phil Fayne put together a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 13 points on 5-for-10 shooting. Indiana State had a turnover percentage of 8.6 (better than their season average of 18.9). Illinois State, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.280 (above their season average of 0.224).
In the Panthers last matchup, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Southern Illinois Salukis, 64-53. With 10 points and seven rebounds, Isaiah Brown had a good game for UNI. Southern Illinois had an effective field goal percentage of 0.577 (above their season average of 0.515). UNI, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (7-9; 77.8 percent).
UNI should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Panthers currently rank 35th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.466), while Illinois State is 201st in effective field goal percentage (0.508). Moreover, put-back points could be rare for the Redbirds. They rank 308th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.4 percent, while the Panthers are 16th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 76.7 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Illinois State have finished over 64.7 percent of the time, while 56.3 percent of UNI games have gone under. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (10-10 for Illinois State; 10-10 for UNI), but the Redbirds have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Illinois State is 8-9 ATS, while the Panthers are 5-10-1.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Redbirds won both contests played against each other last season. In the last game, Illinois State won 63-42. The Redbirds dominated every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.641 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0. For those same stats, the Panthers were 0.433 and 18.8, respectively.
Illinois State Redbirds at UNI Panthers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UNI, ATS Winner – UNI, O/U – Under
- The Redbirds rank 85th in steals per game (6.8) while the Panthers rank 122nd in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Illinois State averages 3.5 blocks per game, which ranks 97th in the nation. UNI ranks 115th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- On the road, Illinois State is 5-5 ATS with 8 overs and 2 unders.
- UNI is 3-4 ATS at home with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- UNI ranks 22nd in assists allowed per game (10.7) while Illinois State ranks 181st (14.6).
- The Panthers rank 122nd in rebounds allowed per game (34.4) while the Redbirds rank 270th (39.9).
- Illinois State ranks 33rd in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while UNI ranks 141st (21.9).
- UNI is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Illinois State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Panthers have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. For the season, UNI has defeated opponents by an average of 3.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Redbirds have scored an average of 65.4 points per game (6.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (4.8 below their season average).