MVC foes will collide when the Southern Illinois Salukis (10-8, 2-3 MVC) clash against the Illinois State Redbirds (9-8, 3-2 MVC) at SIU Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Free Preview
In the Redbirds last outing, they lost to the Loyola Chicago Ramblers, 68-61. Illinois State’s Keyshawn Evans put together a solid game, finishing with 11 points. Loyola Chicago did a terrific job of making free throws (16-18; 88.9 percent). Illinois State, on the other hand, held the Ramblers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0 (below the 32.5 mark opponents have averaged against Illinois State this season).
The Salukis are trying to rebound after their 68-62 loss to the Bradley Braves in their last matchup. With 13 points and nine rebounds, Southern Illinois Kavion Pippen played well. Bradley did a fantastic job of making free throws (15-18; 83.3 percent). Southern Illinois, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 26.2).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Southern Illinois figures to have a considerable edge. The Salukis defense ranks 91st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.480), while the Illinois State offense is ranked 208th in effective field goal percentage (0.508).
Milik Yarbrough has been on fire over the last five games for Illinois State, averaging 22.2 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 2.2 steals and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Redbirds won all three matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Illinois State won 63-50. The Redbirds played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.3 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.463. For those same stats, the Salukis were 12.5 and 0.364, respectively.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Illinois State, ATS Winner – Illinois State, O/U – Under
- The Redbirds rank 34th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Salukis rank 92nd (6.3).
- Southern Illinois ranks 34th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Illinois State ranks 87th (3.5).
- Illinois State ranks 25th in three pointers attempted per game (27.1) while Southern Illinois ranks 226th (18.8).
- The Salukis rank 129th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1) while the Redbirds rank 258th (40.2).
- Southern Illinois ranks 92nd in assists per game (14.7) while Illinois State ranks 177th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- The Salukis have been outscored by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Southern Illinois has defeated opponents by an average of 2.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Redbirds have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (1.6 below their season average).