MVC foes will collide when the Evansville Aces (10-3) clash with the Illinois State Redbirds (6-6) at Ford Center. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. Evansville Aces ATS Preview
In the Redbirds last matchup, they won a close one over the UIC Flames, 71-70. Milik Yarbrough was Illinois State’s high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Illinois State’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over UIC. The Redbirds had a rate of 8.0 (better than their season average of 15.8), while the Flames posted a mark of 24.6 (above their season average of 19.0).
The Aces are hoping for a better outcome after their 104-40 loss to the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils in their last outing. Dainius Chatkevicius led Evansville in scoring with 12 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Duke’s turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Evansville. The Blue Devils had a rate of 6.8 (better than their season average of 13.5), while the Aces posted a mark of 28.5 (above their season average of 18.0).
The physical Evansville offense could be getting to the free throw line a lot in this meeting. The Aces rank 30th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.305, while Illinois State ranks 311th in FTA rate allowed (0.298).
Yarbrough has really been playing well over the last five games for Illinois State, averaging 20.8 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Redbirds won all three games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Illinois State won 80-69. Illinois State’s 0.340 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Evansville, who had a mark of 0.188.
Illinois State Redbirds at Evansville Aces ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Illinois State, ATS Winner – Illinois State, O/U – Over
- The Aces rank 117th in assists per game (14.5) while the Redbirds rank 193rd in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- Illinois State averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 102nd in the nation. Evansville ranks 140th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Evansville ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (30.2) while Illinois State ranks 268th (42.3).
- The Redbirds rank 31st in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while the Aces rank 285th (13.7).
- Illinois State ranks 12th in steals allowed per game (4.5) while Evansville ranks 170th (7.8).
- The Aces have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Evansville has defeated opponents by an average of 4.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Redbirds have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.6 points per game (0.3 above their season average).