The BYU Cougars (6-2) will be at home in Marriott Center when they take on the Illinois State Redbirds (4-4). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143.5 points with BYU set as a 9-point favorite. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. BYU Cougars ATS Preview
The Redbirds defeated the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in their last matchup, 65-58. Milik Yarbrough was the games high scorer with 22 points on 6-for-13 shooting. The Redbirds forced 21 turnovers and held the Golden Hurricane to an effective field goal percentage of 0.406 (below their season average of 0.551).
In the Cougars last game, they topped the Utah State Aggies, 75-66. BYU was lifted by Yoeli Childs, who was the teams leading scorer with 17 points on 7-for-14 shooting. The Cougars knocked down 24 of their 28 free throws (85.7 percent) and had a better turnover percentage (16.8 vs. 18.7).
Opposite styles will be on display in this meeting. BYU ranks 34th in possessions per game (73.8) while Illinois State is 306th (66.8) since last season. Also, the Redbirds, who rank 314th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.204), could struggle to get to the line against the Cougars, who rank 52nd in opponents FTA rate (0.204).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Illinois State have gone over 60.0 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of BYU games have finished under. The Cougars hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (6-2 vs. 4-4), but the Redbirds have been better against the spread (ATS) (3-2 vs. 2-4).
Illinois State Redbirds vs. BYU Cougars Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – BYU, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Cougars rank 44th in assists per game (15.7) while the Redbirds rank 126th (14.1).
- Illinois State ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while BYU ranks 89th (3.1).
- BYU ranks 15th in rebounds per game (40.4) while Illinois State ranks 213th in rebounds allowed per game (36.3).
- The Redbirds rank 76th in three pointers attempted per game (23.6) while the Cougars rank 270th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- Illinois State ranks 74th in steals per game (7.1) while BYU ranks 215th in steals allowed per game (6.8).