MVC foes will clash when the Bradley Braves (17-10, 7-7 MVC) go head-to-head with the Illinois State Redbirds (14-12, 8-6 MVC) at Carver Arena. Bradley opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 137.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Illinois State Redbirds at Bradley Braves Betting Preview
The Redbirds fell to the Valparaiso Crusaders in their last contest, 74-58. Illinois State’s Milik Yarbrough put up 10 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in the contest. Valparaiso’s 0.200 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Illinois State, who had a mark of 0.103. The Crusaders mark was below their season average of 0.271, while the Redbirds was below their season average of 0.231.
In the Braves last matchup, they were beaten by the Southern Illinois Salukis, 74-57. With nine points and 10 rebounds, Bradley’s Donte Thomas had a good game. Southern Illinois did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (14-19; 73.7 percent). Bradley, meanwhile, forced the Salukis into a turnover percentage of 21.6 (above their season average of 16.8).
Bradley figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Braves currently rank 32nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.468), while Illinois State is 202nd in effective field goal percentage (0.507).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Illinois State games have gone over 60.9 percent of the time, while 68.0 percent of games involving Bradley have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Braves have a sizable advantage. They are 17-10 SU and 13-10-2 ATS, while the Redbirds are 14-12 SU and 11-12 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 127 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 136. The Redbirds won 70-57, covering as 3-point favorites. One of Illinois State’s biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They had 29 free throw attempts, while Bradley had 17. Yarbrough recorded a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds.
Illinois State Redbirds vs. Bradley Braves Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Illinois State, ATS Winner – Illinois State, O/U – Over
- The Redbirds average 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 82nd in the nation. The Braves rank 145th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Bradley ranks 149th in assists per game (13.7) while Illinois State ranks 187th in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- On the road, Illinois State is 6-7 ATS with 9 overs and 4 unders.
- Bradley is 9-1-2 ATS at home with 7 unders and 5 overs.
- Illinois State ranks 30th in three pointers attempted per game (26.5) while Bradley ranks 244th (19.0).
- The Braves rank 75th in rebounds allowed per game (33.1) while the Redbirds rank 262nd (38.7).
- Bradley ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Illinois State ranks 82nd (3.2).
- Bradley is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Illinois State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Braves have been outscored by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Bradley has defeated opponents by an average of 3.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Redbirds have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.6 points per game (6.3 below their season average).