The Michigan Wolverines (12-3, 2-1 Big 10) welcome the Illinois Fighting Illini (10-6, 0-3 Big 10) to Crisler Center. The Wolverines look to continue their five-game winning streak. Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Illinois Fighting Illini at Michigan Wolverines Betting Preview
In the Fighting Illini’s last contest, they fell to the Minnesota Golden Gophers, 77-67. Illinois Trent Frazier recorded 12 points and six assists in the contest. Minnesota had a free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.280). Illinois, on the other hand, forced the Golden Gophers into a turnover percentage of 17.7 (above their season average of 13.1).
The Wolverines hope to keep it rolling after beating the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last contest, 75-68. Michigan was led by Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, who finished with 15 points, seven rebounds and six assists. The Wolverines had 8 steals and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.588 (above their season average of 0.567).
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Michigan (47th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 114.5) takes on the top-notch defense of Illinois (45th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 94.3). Opposite paces will be on display in this matchup. The fast-breaking Fighting Illini rank 49th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Wolverines rank 332nd.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Wolverines won two out of three contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Michigan won 75-55. The Wolverines played a perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.6 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.5. For those same stats, the Fighting Illini were 21.2 and 14.8, respectively.
Illinois Fighting Illini vs. Michigan Wolverines Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Wolverines rank 39th in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while the Fighting Illini rank 77th (33.3).
- Michigan is 24th in the nation with 10.5 assists allowed per game while Illinois is 36th with 11.1 assists allowed per game.
- Michigan ranks 31st in three pointers attempted per game (26.8) while Illinois ranks 146th (22.0).
- The Wolverines rank fifth in steals allowed per game (4.1) while the Fighting Illini rank 102nd (6.4).
- Michigan ranks 48th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Illinois ranks 138th (4.3).
- The Wolverines average margin of victory in their last five games has been 19.6, up from 14.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Fighting Illini have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (7.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (6.3 below their season average).