The Northern Colorado Bears (10-4, 1-0 BigSky) can continue a six-game home winning streak when they clash against the Idaho Vandals (9-4, 1-0 BigSky) at Bank of Colorado Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 140.5 points with Northern Colorado opening as a 1-point favorite. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Idaho Vandals at Northern Colorado Bears Odds Preview
In the Vandals last game, they were victorious over the North Dakota Fighting Hawks, 74-57. With 12 points and seven rebounds, Idaho’s Brayon Blake put together a solid game. The Vandals held the Fighting Hawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.0 (below their season average of 23.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.660 (above their season average of 0.523).
The Bears will look to maintain momentum after topping the Eastern Washington Eagles in their last contest, 88-75. With 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting, Andre Spight was Northern Colorado’s high scorer. Northern Colorado dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.310 (above their season average of 0.210) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.6 (above their season average of 26.8). Eastern Washington put up marks of 0.141 and 21.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Points could be at a premium in this matchup between a pair of the NCAA’s best defenses. Northern Colorado ranks 50th in defensive efficiency (94.8) and Idaho is 28th (91.6).
Of Idaho’s 8 games with betting action, five have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Northern Colorado’s 11 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (9-4 for Idaho; 10-4 for Northern Colorado), but the Bears have the edge against the spread (ATS). Northern Colorado is 8-2-1 ATS, while the Vandals are 5-3.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Vandals, it’s been Blake, who has averaged 17.6 points and 9.0 rebounds, while the Bears have received great contributions from Spight (19.6 points, 4.6 assists and 1.6 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Vandals won the sole game last season, 88-76. Idaho launched 27 three pointers, making 13 of them (48.1 percent), while Northern Colorado was 9-31 (29.0 percent).
Idaho Vandals at Northern Colorado Bears Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Idaho, ATS Winner – Idaho, O/U – Under
- The Bears rank 28th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Vandals rank 76th (5.8).
- Northern Colorado is 29th in the NCAA with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while Idaho is 50th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Idaho is 4-3 ATS on the road, while Northern Colorado is 2-1 ATS at home.
- The Vandals have 5 unders and 2 overs in 7 road games.
- In 3 home games, the Bears have 2 overs and 1 under.
- Northern Colorado ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (14.6) while Idaho ranks 178th (23.5).
- The Vandals rank 76th in assists per game (15.4) while the Bears rank 227th (11.4).
- Idaho ranks 34th in rebounds allowed per game (31.5) while Northern Colorado ranks 167th (36.4).
- Northern Colorado is 4-0 ATS with 4 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Idaho is 2-1 ATS with 3 unders.
- The Bears average margin of victory in their last five games has been 17.6, up from 9.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vandals have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 59.2 points per game (4.0 below their season average).