BigSky foes will battle when the North Dakota Fighting Hawks (4-7) square off with the Idaho Vandals (8-4) at Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 150.5 points with Idaho set as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Idaho Vandals vs. North Dakota Fighting Hawks Odds Preview
The Vandals lost to the UC Irvine Anteaters in their last matchup, 67-59. Idaho’s Brayon Blake had 11 points and 13 rebounds in the contest. UC Irvine did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (17-21; 81.0 percent). Idaho, meanwhile, held the Anteaters to an effective field goal percentage of 0.410 (below their season average of 0.501).
In the Fighting Hawks last game, they were topped by the No. 12 Gonzaga Bulldogs, 89-83. Geno Crandall was the games high scorer with 28 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Gonzaga had an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.9 (above their season average of 35.6). North Dakota, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.595 (above their season average of 0.483).
The ineffective offense of North Dakota will battle against the stingy defense of Idaho. The Fighting Hawks rank 289th in offensive efficiency, while the Vandals are 34th in defensive efficiency. The Vandals figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Idaho games have gone under 57.1 percent of the time, while 87.5 percent of games featuring North Dakota have gone over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Vandals have a significant advantage. They are 8-4 SU and 4-3 ATS, while the Fighting Hawks are 4-7 SU and 3-5 ATS.
Blake has been impressive over the last five games for Idaho, averaging 20.0 points and 9.2 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Fighting Hawks won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, North Dakota won 69-64. North Dakota had a much better free throw rate (0.327 vs. 0.217). Idaho, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (22.7 vs. 8.8).
Idaho Vandals vs. North Dakota Fighting Hawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Idaho, ATS Winner – North Dakota, O/U – Over
- The Fighting Hawks average 22.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 144th in the nation. The Vandals rank 183rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- North Dakota is 42nd in the NCAA with 2.6 blocks allowed per game while Idaho is 50th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Idaho is 3-3 ATS on the road, while North Dakota is 0-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 1 of the Fighting Hawks 1 home games, while 4 of the Vandals 6 road games have gone under.
- Idaho averages 39.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 44th in the NCAA. North Dakota ranks 255th in rebounds allowed per game (39.7).
- The Fighting Hawks rank 17th in steals per game (8.9) while the Vandals rank 197th (4.1).
- Idaho averages 15.1 assists per game, which ranks 86th in the nation. North Dakota ranks 144th in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- North Dakota is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Idaho is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Fighting Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 17.4, up from 7.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vandals have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average).