The Howard Bison (2-11) look to end a 10-game road losing streak when they take on the UTEP Miners (4-6) at Don Haskins Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142.5 points with UTEP opening as an 11-point favorite. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Howard Bison at UTEP Miners Odds Preview
The last time the Bison played, they lost a close one to the Jacksonville State Gamecocks, 62-60. RJ Cole had a good game for Howard, leading both teams in scoring with 27 points on 9-for-19 shooting. Jacksonville State did an excellent job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent). Howard, meanwhile, held the Gamecocks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.5 (below their season average of 34.3).
The Miners hope to keep it rolling after beating the Incarnate Word Cardinals in their last matchup, 72-66. With 16 points on 7-for-15 shooting, Paul Thomas led UTEP in scoring. The Miners forced 25 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.556 (above their season average of 0.482).
It could be an error-filled game for the UTEP offense. UTEP ranks 199th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Howard forces the 74th-most turnovers in the nation (21.8 percent).
Of Howard’s 2 games with betting action, one have finished over the O/U total, while 3 of UTEP’s 5 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Miners have a significant advantage. They are 4-6 SU and 3-2 ATS, while the Bison are 2-11 SU and 2-0 ATS.
Howard Bison vs. UTEP Miners Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UTEP, ATS Winner – UTEP, O/U – Under
- The Miners average 34.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 184th in the NCAA. The Bison rank 247th in rebounds allowed per game (41.1).
- Howard ranks 184th in assists per game (12.5) while UTEP ranks 232nd (10.8).
- UTEP ranks third in blocks allowed per game (1.5) while Howard ranks 128th (4.1).
- The Bison average 23.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 101st in the nation. The Miners rank 203rd in three pointers allowed per game (24.4).
- UTEP ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while Howard ranks 92nd (6.3).
- The Miners have been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, UTEP has defeated opponents by an average of 0.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Bison have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (5.9 below their season average).