The Howard Bison (2-10) can snap a nine-game road losing streak when they take on the Jacksonville State Gamecocks (7-3) at Pete Mathews Coliseum. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017.
Howard Bison vs. Jacksonville State Gamecocks Free Preview
The Bison were victorious over the Washington Adventist Shock in their last matchup, 76-65. RJ Cole was the games high scorer with 30 points on 8-for-20 shooting. Howard played a perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.385 (above their season average of 0.205) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 (above their season average of 25.4). Washington Adventist put up marks of 0.288 and 30.6, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Gamecocks last matchup, they defeated the USC Upstate Spartans, 77-61. Jacksonville State received a boost from Christian Cunningham, who recorded 11 points and 10 rebounds. Jacksonville State dominated every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 47.1 (above their season average of 32.8) and a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 16.8). For those same stats, USC Upstate put up marks of 20.6 and 17.0, respectively.
The high-octane offense of Jacksonville State (41st in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 115.8) will go head-to-head against the porous defense of Howard (276th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 111.5). The Gamecocks figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Charles Williams has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Howard, averaging 20.4 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Gamecocks won the only game played against each other last season, 72-59. Jacksonville State’s 0.620 effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Howard, who had a mark of 0.470.
Howard Bison at Jacksonville State Gamecocks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jacksonville State, ATS Winner – Jacksonville State, O/U – Under
- The Gamecocks rank 30th in blocks per game (5.1) while the Bison rank 92nd (3.3).
- Jacksonville State ranks 31st in assists per game (16.8) while Howard ranks 248th (12.6).
- The Gamecocks rank 29th in rebounds allowed per game (31.3) while the Bison rank 229th (41.9).
- Howard ranks 134th in three pointers allowed per game (23.3) while Jacksonville State ranks 225th (25.1).
- The Gamecocks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.2, down from 15.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bison have scored an average of 71.0 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (6.9 below their season average).