The San Antonio Spurs (44-32), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will meet the Houston Rockets (62-14) at AT&T Center. The game can be seen on ABC at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 1, 2018.
Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Spurs were victorious over the Oklahoma City Thunder 103-99, while the Rockets edged the Phoenix Suns 104-103.
The Rockets had a free throw rate of 0.247 (above their season average of 0.235), while the Suns had a turnover percentage of 15.9 (above the 12.9 mark opponents have averaged against Houston this season). Meanwhile, San Antonio’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Oklahoma City. The Spurs had a rate of 0.272 (above their season average of 0.186), while the Thunder posted a mark of 0.165. San Antonio’s LaMarcus Aldridge had a good outing, putting up 25 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Houston was led by James Harden, who finished with 28 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds.
San Antonio might have trouble finding the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the leagues best defenses. Houston ranks sixth in defensive efficiency, while the Spurs rank 18th in offensive efficiency. Additionally, the Rockets rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.235), while the Spurs rank first in opponents FTA rate (0.167).
Of the Rockets 76 games, 42 have finished under the total. Houston holds records of 62-14 straight up (SU) and 40-34-2 against the spread (ATS).
Coinciding with Houston, a little over half of Spurs games have finished under the projected point total. Moreover, San Antonio owns records of 44-32 SU and 39-33-4 ATS.
In their three matchups this season, the Rockets have won all three. In their most recent game, the two teams combined for 202 points, which was under the projected point total of 212. Houston won 109-93, covering as an 11-point favorite. The Rockets 23.7 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Spurs, who had a rate of 14.6. Harden was the games top overall scorer with 28 points.
Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets average 11.5 fast break points per game, which ranks 15th in the league. The Spurs rank 17th in fast break points allowed per game (12.2).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.4) while San Antonio ranks 27th (24.2).
- The Spurs rank fourth in blocks per game (5.6) while the Rockets rank 15th (4.8).
- Houston ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (17.6) while San Antonio ranks 15th (16.3).
- San Antonio ranks 10th in second chance points per game (13.1) while Houston ranks 12th in second chance points allowed per game (11.9).
- The Spurs rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.7) while the Rockets rank 27th (48.3).
- The Rockets rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.8) while the Spurs rank 10th (42.4).
- Houston ranks fifth in steals per game (8.6) while San Antonio ranks 19th (7.5).
- When holding opponents below 100 points, San Antonio is 30-10 and Houston is 30-2.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Rockets are 60-11 and the Spurs are 34-12.
- Houston is 24-13-1 ATS on the road, while San Antonio is 24-13-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 22 of the Rockets 38 road games, while 19 of the Spurs 38 home games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Houston and San Antonio are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Rockets have 4 unders and 1 over over their last five games, while the Spurs have 3 overs and 2 unders,
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.8, up from 9.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 106.8 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.2 points per game (6.8 above their season average).