The Houston Rockets (19-4) visit Moda Center at the Rose Quarter to challenge the Portland Trail Blazers (13-11). The Rockets will try to lengthen their eight-game winning streak. Houston is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 211 points. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers Odds Preview
The last time the Rockets played, they were victorious over the Utah Jazz, 112-101. With 18 points, 13 assists and nine rebounds, Chris Paul put together a solid game for Houston. The Rockets held the Jazz to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.5 (below their season average of 20.5) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.580 (above their season average of 0.560).
The Trail Blazers are hoping for a better outcome after their 106-92 loss to the Washington Wizards in their last contest. Damian Lillard led Portland in scoring with 30 points on 10-for-23 shooting. Washington forced the Trail Blazers into a turnover percentage of 17.1 (above their season average of 12.9). Portland, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (16-21; 76.2 percent).
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the NBA’s premier defenses go head-to-head. Portland currently ranks second in defensive efficiency (101.0) and Houston is fifth (101.6).
Both of these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Houston games have finished under 56.5 percent of the time, while games including Portland have finished under 70.8 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rockets have a substantial advantage. They are 19-4 SU and 14-9 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 13-11 SU and 8-13-3 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Rockets won two out of three contests last season. In the most recent contest, Portland won 117-107. Portland had a better turnover percentage (10.7 vs. 15.1). Houston, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (30.2 vs. 27.5).
Houston Rockets at Portland Trail Blazers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank ninth in assists per game (23.0) while the Trail Blazers rank last (18.2).
- Portland ranks third in rebounds per game (46.9) while Houston ranks 11th (44.8).
- Houston ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Portland ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.8).
- On the road, Houston is 9-3 ATS with 7 unders and 5 overs.
- At home, Portland is 3-9-2 ATS with 11 unders and 3 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Portland is 9-3 and Houston is 9-1.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 11-4 and the Rockets are 19-2.
- The Rockets rank 12th in fast break points per game (11.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (4.1).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (44.0) while Portland ranks 27th (24.2).
- The Rockets rank third in steals per game (9.2) while the Trail Blazers rank 27th (6.5).
- The Rockets rank 19th in points in the paint per game (41.4) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (40.7).
- Houston ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (19.3) while Portland ranks 27th (14.6).
- Portland is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 3.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 2.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 116.4 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 99.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average).