The Phoenix Suns (16-26) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they go head-to-head with the Houston Rockets (29-11). Houston opened as a 7.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 227 points. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Houston Rockets vs. Phoenix Suns Odds Preview
The Rockets beat the Portland Trail Blazers in their last outing, 121-112. Chris Paul was the games high scorer with 37 points on 13-for-29 shooting. The Rockets, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.0, had a fantastic mark of 33.3 and had a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 13.2).
In the Suns last game, they beat the Oklahoma City Thunder, 114-100. Phoenix received a boost from Josh Jackson, who finished with 17 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Phoenix dominated every facet of the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 13.5) and a free throw rate of 0.216 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Oklahoma City put up marks of 10.4 and 0.140, respectively.
Houston could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the NBA. The Rockets currently rank second in offensive efficiency, while Phoenix ranks 27th in defensive efficiency.
Of Houston’s 40 games, 21 have finished over the O/U total, while 21 of Phoenix’s 42 games have finished over the O/U total. The Rockets have the better straight up (SU) record (29-11 vs. 16-26), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Houston is 19-20-1 ATS, while Phoenix is 20-20-2 ATS.
Paul and Eric Gordon have been playing well over the last five games for Houston. Paul has averaged 20.8 points, 10.8 assists, 6.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game, while Gordon has put up 20.0 points, 6.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 258 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 230.5. The Rockets won 142-116, covering as 12.5-point favorites. Houston did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (35-38; 92.1 percent). Phoenix, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (11.0 vs. 11.6). James Harden was the games top overall scorer with 48 points.
Houston Rockets vs. Phoenix Suns Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.5) while the Suns rank 21st (26.6).
- Phoenix averages 45.6 points in the paint per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. Houston ranks 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.8).
- Houston ranks 10th in second chance points allowed per game (11.8) while Phoenix ranks 26th (13.8).
- Houston ranks 16th in assists per game (22.6) while Phoenix ranks 27th (20.7).
- Phoenix is 9-12-1 ATS at home, while Houston is 11-8 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Suns 22 home games, while 11 of the Rockets 19 road games have gone under.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Houston is 12-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Suns are 12-16 and the Rockets are 29-8.
- The Suns rank sixth in fast break points per game (13.8) while the Rockets rank 22nd in fast break points allowed per game (12.4).
- Houston ranks fourth in steals per game (8.8) while Phoenix ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- The Rockets rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Suns rank 25th (45.1).
- The Rockets rank 13th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Suns rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Houston ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while Phoenix ranks 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.8).
- Phoenix is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 6.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 113.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (2.6 above their season average).