Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Houston Rockets (24-17), 5.5-point favorites, head to Orlando to play the Magic (18-24). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 213.5 points and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 13, 2019.
Houston Rockets at Orlando Magic ATS Odds
The Rockets had no trouble getting past the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last matchup, 141-113, easily covering as 14-point favorites. The Magic, meanwhile, defeated the Boston Celtics,105-103, but failed to cover as 10-point favorites. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Houston game finished 38 points over the projected point total of 216, while the Orlando game finished 0.5 points over the projected point total of 207.5.
Houston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.5 (below their season average of 24.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.629 (above their season average of 0.536). Cleveland was 14.0 and 0.500, respectively, for those same stats. The Magic, meanwhile, knocked down 22 of their 24 free throws (91.7 percent) and held the Celtics to an effective field goal percentage of 0.467 (below their season average of 0.533). Orlando’s Aaron Gordon led the way, putting up 28 points and 12 rebounds. James Harden, meanwhile led the way for Houston with 43 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds to notch his fifth triple-double of the season.
The Rockets dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent game, Houston won 114-107. Houston did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (23-28; 82.1 percent). Orlando, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 11.8). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Of the Rockets’ 41 games, 22 have finished over the total. Houston holds records of 24-17 straight up (SU) and 21-19-1 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas is known to set the total high when the Magic are involved, as 25 of their 41 games have finished under the total. Further, Orlando is 18-24 SU and 19-20-2 ATS.
Harden has been playing at a high level recently for Houston, averaging 40 points,11.0 assists,8.2 rebounds,1.4 steals over the last five games.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Orlando currently ranks 27th in possessions per game (100.1) and Houston is 28th (99.3).
Houston Rockets at Orlando Magic Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank 20th in fast break points per game (11.3) while the Magic rank 25th (10.2).
- Orlando ranks sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (46.1) while Houston ranks 28th (52.7).
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.2) while the Magic rank 14th (31.5).
- Orlando ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while Houston ranks 18th (13.4).
- Houston ranks 21st in points off turnovers per game (15.9) while Orlando ranks 27th (14.7).
- The Magic rank third in steals allowed per game (7.0) while the Rockets rank 22nd (8.3).
- The Magic rank 16th in assists per game (24.2) while the Rockets rank 27th (21.4).
- Orlando ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.4) while Houston ranks 11th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Houston ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (43.2) while Orlando ranks 24th (46.1).
- Houston is 6-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Orlando is 8-2.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Magic are 14-9 and the Rockets are 22-10.
- Orlando is 8-11 ATS at home, while Houston is 8-12 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Rockets’ 20 road games, while 10 of the Magic’s 19 home games have gone under.
- The Rockets are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Magic are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Houston has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Orlando has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 122.2 points per game (10.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 117.2 points per game (7.8 above their season average).
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 4.1 for the season.