It will be a showdown between two outstanding offenses when the New Orleans Pelicans (39-29), 7-point underdogs, square off with the Houston Rockets (54-14) at Smoothie King Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 227 points and it will air on ATTSN Southwest at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 17, 2018.
Houston Rockets vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
In their last game, the Pelicans lost to the San Antonio Spurs, 98-93, while the Rockets beat the Los Angeles Clippers, 101-96.
The Rockets made 19 of their 23 free throws (82.6 percent) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.0 (above their season average of 21.7). New Orleans, on the other hand, held San Antonio to an effective field goal percentage of 0.409 (below their season average of 0.510). Jrue Holiday played a key role for New Orleans with 24 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Clint Capela, meanwhile had a solid performance for Houston, finishing with 19 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks.
Second-chance opportunities might be rare for New Orleans in this matchup. The Pelicans rank 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.9 percent), while Houston ranks third in defensive rebounding percentage (80.4 percent).
Of the Rockets 68 games, 37 have finished under the projected point total. Houston heads into the game with records of 54-14 straight up (SU) and 36-31-1 against the spread (ATS).
Games including the Pelicans have a tendency to finish over the total (61.8 percent). Further, New Orleans owns records of 39-29 SU and 36-32 ATS.
The Pelicans won the most recent matchup by two points to even the season series at one. Despite the loss, Chris Paul was the games leading scorer with 38 points. The Pelicans offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Rockets. New Orleans had a rate of 15.4, while Houston posted a mark of 5.3. New Orleans covered as a 5-point underdog and the two teams combined to score 228 points, which was just over the projected point total of 227.5.
Houston Rockets at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks per game (5.9) while the Rockets rank 17th (4.7).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (51.8) while Houston ranks 27th (41.2).
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.5) while the Rockets rank 23rd (21.7).
- Houston averages 8.6 steals per game, which ranks third in the league. New Orleans ranks 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Houston averages 17.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7).
- The Rockets rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Pelicans rank 27th (45.5).
- The Rockets rank 11th in second chance points allowed per game (11.9) while the Pelicans rank 29th (13.6).
- Houston ranks 15th in fast break points allowed per game (11.7) while New Orleans ranks 28th (14.4).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.2) while New Orleans ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.5).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Houston is 26-2 and New Orleans is 8-2.
- The Pelicans are 37-18 when they score over 100 points, while the Rockets are 52-11.
- New Orleans is 13-19 ATS at home, while Houston is 23-12 ATS on the road.
- The Rockets have 21 unders, 13 overs and 1 push in 35 road games.
- The Pelicans have 24 overs and 8 unders in 32 home games.
- The Rockets are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Houston has 5 unders, while New Orleans has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (7.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (2.3 below their season average).