The Detroit Pistons (20-17) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they take on the Houston Rockets (27-10). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets at Detroit Pistons ATS Preview
In the Rockets last matchup, they lost to the Golden State Warriors, 124-114. Houston’s Eric Gordon had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 30 points on 12-for-24 shooting. Golden State held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.3 (below their season average of 22.0). Houston, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (9.2 vs. 11.1).
The Pistons are trying to rebound after their 114-78 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in their last contest. Tobias Harris led Detroit in scoring with 14 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Philadelphia had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 (above their season average of 25.9). Detroit, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.139 vs. 0.133).
It will be a battle of conflicting tempos as the up-tempo Rockets (ranked seventh in the league in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Pistons (22nd in possessions per game).
Of Houston’s 37 games, 19 have finished over the projected point total, while 21 of Detroit’s 36 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets have the superior straight up (SU) record (27-10 vs. 20-17), but the Pistons hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (20-14-2 vs. 17-19-1).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last matchup, the Pistons won 114-109. Detroit had a much better turnover percentage (5.0 vs. 10.0). Houston, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (21-28; 75.0 percent).
Houston Rockets vs. Detroit Pistons Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.2) while the Pistons rank 18th (28.5).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (9.0) while Detroit ranks 15th (7.7).
- Houston ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.7) while Detroit ranks last (3.3).
- Houston ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.5) while Detroit ranks 14th (43.0).
- Detroit is 9-7-1 ATS at home, while Houston is 10-7 ATS on the road.
- The Rockets have 10 unders, 6 overs and 1 push in 17 road games.
- In 17 home games, the Pistons have 9 unders and 8 overs.
- Houston is 12-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Detroit is 11-4.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Rockets are 27-7 and the Pistons are 17-5.
- The Rockets rank 12th in assists allowed per game (22.3) while the Pistons rank 25th (24.2).
- Detroit ranks sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while Houston ranks 26th (47.8).
- The Pistons rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while the Rockets rank 22nd (18.0).
- The Pistons rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (10.7) while the Rockets rank 13th (12.1).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.1) while Houston ranks 22nd (12.7).
- Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Pistons average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 0.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 115.8 points per game (0.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.8 points per game (9.7 above their season average).