The Houston Rockets (18-4) look to extend their seven-game winning streak against the Utah Jazz (13-12) at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208 points with Houston opening as a 5.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 7, 2017, and it can be seen on TNT.
Houston Rockets at Utah Jazz Odds Preview
The last time the Rockets played, they won big over the Los Angeles Lakers, 118-95. James Harden was the top scorer from either team with 36 points on 13-for-22 shooting. The Rockets held the Lakers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.435 (below their season average of 0.505). The Lakers also had a turnover percentage of 17.1 (above the 13.8 mark opponents have averaged against Houston this season).
The Jazz are trying to rebound after their 100-94 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last contest. Donovan Mitchell was Utah’s high scorer with 31 points on 11-for-22 shooting. Oklahoma City had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6 (above their season average of 25.9). Utah, meanwhile, forced the Thunder into a turnover percentage of 16.3 (above their season average of 13.2).
It could be a tough game for Utah on the offensive glass. The Jazz rank 22nd in offensive rebounding percentage (20.5 percent), while Houston ranks first in defensive rebounding percentage (81.4 percent). Additionally, the second-ranked offense of the Rockets (offensive efficiency of 112.9) will square off against the fifth-ranked defense of the Jazz (defensive efficiency of 101.4).
Of Houston’s 22 games, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of Utah’s 25 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (18-4 vs. 13-12), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Houston is 13-9 ATS, while Utah is 15-10 ATS.
Mitchell has been playing at a high level as of late for Utah, averaging 25.2 points and 3.6 assists over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 247 points, well over the projected point total of 205. The Rockets won 137-110, covering as 6-point favorites. Houston was lights out from beyond the arc (23-39; 59.0 percent). Utah, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (12.4 vs. 18.9). Harden recorded a double-double with 56 points and 13 assists.
Houston Rockets vs. Utah Jazz Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank 11th in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Jazz rank 26th (40.5).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (44.0) while Utah ranks 10th (30.5).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (9.2) while Utah ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Utah is 11-4 ATS at home, while Houston is 8-3 ATS on the road.
- The Rockets have 7 unders and 4 overs in 11 road games.
- In 15 home games, the Jazz have 9 unders and 6 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Houston is 9-1 and Utah is 8-2.
- The Rockets are 18-2 when they reach the century mark, while the Jazz are 11-4.
- The Jazz rank second in assists allowed per game (18.4) while the Rockets rank 13th (22.4).
- Utah ranks second in points off turnovers per game (19.9) while Houston ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.4).
- The Jazz rank fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (40.1) while the Rockets rank 23rd (46.7).
- The Jazz rank eighth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Rockets rank 12th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Houston ranks 12th in fast break points per game (11.6) while Utah ranks 27th (8.4).
- Utah is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Jazz average margin of victory in their last five games has been 19.0, up from 4.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 119.0 points per game (4.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.4 points per game (4.3 below their season average).