The San Antonio Spurs (34-19), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will go head-to-head with the Houston Rockets (36-13) at AT&T Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
Houston Rockets at San Antonio Spurs Betting Preview
In the Rockets’ last game, they were victorious over the Orlando Magic, 114-107. With 60 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds, James Harden led the way for Houston with his second triple-double of the season. The Rockets knocked down 23 of their 28 free throws (82.1 percent) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.5 (above their season average of 22.0).
The Spurs come in on a high note after narrowly defeating the Denver Nuggets in their last game, 106-104. With 30 points on 14-for-23 shooting, LaMarcus Aldridge was the top scorer from either team. The Spurs had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 (above their season average of 23.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.549 (above their season average of 0.508).
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the productive offense of Houston takes on the elite defense of San Antonio. The Rockets rank second in offensive efficiency, while the Spurs are second in defensive efficiency.
Of Houston’s 49 games, 25 have finished under the O/U total, while 30 of San Antonio’s 53 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (36-13 vs. 34-19), but the Spurs have been superior against the spread (ATS) (27-22-4 vs. 23-25-1).
Dejounte Murray has been on fire over the last five games for San Antonio, averaging 12.4 points, 8.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 233 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 214. The Rockets won 124-109, covering as 8-point favorites. The Rockets played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.220 and a turnover percentage of 11.3. The Spurs had marks of 0.074 and 14.6, respectively, for those same stats. Chris Paul was a top performer in the victory, with 28 points, eight assists and seven steals.
Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs Odds Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank first in blocks allowed per game (3.5) while the Rockets rank 17th (4.9).
- San Antonio averages 9.9 fast break points per game, which ranks 20th in the NBA. Houston ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.9).
- Houston ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while San Antonio ranks 10th (42.2).
- On the road, Houston is 13-10 ATS with 14 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- At home, San Antonio is 17-8-1 ATS with 14 overs and 12 unders.
- San Antonio is 22-10 when they allow less than 100 points, while Houston is 16-2.
- The Rockets are 35-10 when they score above 100 points, while the Spurs are 27-3.
- The Rockets rank sixth in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while the Spurs rank 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.5).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.9) while San Antonio ranks 27th (24.4).
- The Spurs rank sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.2) while the Rockets rank 27th (47.7).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (8.9) while San Antonio ranks 20th (7.4).
- San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spurs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.6, up from 3.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 108.6 points per game (5.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.2 points per game (4.2 below their season average).