The Houston Rockets (42-13) and the Minnesota Timberwolves (35-24) square off at Target Center. The Rockets look to prolong their eight-game winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 222 points with Houston opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets at Minnesota Timberwolves Odds Preview
In the Rockets last game, they beat the Dallas Mavericks, 104-97. With 25 points, nine assists and eight rebounds, Chris Paul put together a good outing for Houston. Houston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.295 (above their season average of 0.238) and a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 12.4). Dallas put up marks of 0.118 and 12.3, respectively, for those same stats.
The Timberwolves will look to keep it rolling after beating the Sacramento Kings in their last outing, 111-106. Minnesota received a boost from Karl-Anthony Towns, who was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 10-for-17 shooting. Minnesota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.378 (above their season average of 0.224) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.561 (above their season average of 0.526). For those same stats, Sacramento was 0.136 and 0.534, respectively.
This meeting figures to be a high-scoring affair as two of the leagues top offenses clash. Minnesota ranks third with 112.0 points per 100 possessions and Houston is second (113.7).
Of Houston’s 55 games, 28 have finished under the projected point total, while 31 of Minnesota’s 59 games have finished over the O/U total. The Rockets have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (42-13 vs. 35-24), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Jimmy Butler has been superb over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 31.2 points, 6.0 assists, 5.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 214 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 224.5. The Rockets won 116-98, covering as 5-point favorites. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 and a superb turnover percentage of 8.6. The Timberwolves were 19.0 and 10.9, respectively, for those same stats. Towns had a double-double in the loss, with 22 points and 16 rebounds.
Houston Rockets at Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while the Rockets rank 17th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.3).
- Minnesota ranks 12th in assists per game (22.9) while Houston ranks 17th in assists allowed per game (23.0).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.4) while Houston ranks ninth (7.4).
- On the road, Houston is 16-11 ATS with 16 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- Minnesota is 15-13-1 ATS at home with 15 overs, 13 unders and 1 push.
- Houston is 19-2 when they allow less than 100 points, while Minnesota is 16-4.
- The Rockets are 41-10 when they reach the century mark, while the Timberwolves are 33-15.
- The Rockets average 11.0 fast break points per game, which ranks 16th in the league. The Timberwolves rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (13.1).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.6) while Minnesota ranks 29th (22.2).
- The Timberwolves rank sixth in points in the paint per game (48.1) while the Rockets rank 27th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.7).
- The Rockets are second in the NBA with 41.3 rebounds allowed per game while the Timberwolves are third with 41.4 rebounds allowed per game.
- Minnesota ranks third in second chance points per game (14.3) while Houston ranks 19th (11.6).
- Minnesota is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 117.2 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.6 points per game (5.0 below their season average).