The Miami Heat (29-25) will attempt to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Houston when they welcome the Rockets (39-13) to AmericanAirlines Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 210.5 points with Houston opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets vs. Miami Heat Free Preview
The Rockets beat the Brooklyn Nets in their last outing, 123-113. James Harden was the top scorer from either team with 36 points on 11-for-23 shooting. The Rockets knocked down 17 of their 21 free throws (81.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.654 (above their season average of 0.552).
In the Heat’s last matchup, they were topped by the Orlando Magic, 111-109. With 19 points and 14 rebounds, Miami’s Hassan Whiteside put together a good performance. Orlando made 13 of their 30 three pointers (43.3 percent). Miami, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 20.4).
It could be a tough game for Miami on the offensive glass. The Heat are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 24th in offensive rebounding percentage at 20.7 percent. Meanwhile, Houston ranks second in the NBA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 81.6 percent. Additionally, the Rockets rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.236), while the Heat rank 25th in opponents FTA rate (0.215).
Of Houston’s 51 games with betting action, 27 have finished under the projected point total, while 31 of Miami’s 54 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (39-13 vs. 29-25), but both teams are near the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Josh Richardson has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Miami, averaging 15.8 points, 4.0 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 189 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 213.5. The Rockets won 99-90, but were unable to cover as 11-point favorites. The Rockets dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.148 and a turnover percentage of 13.6. The Heat had marks of 0.061 and 15.7, respectively, for those same stats. Whiteside had a double-double in the defeat, with 22 points and 13 rebounds.
Houston Rockets at Miami Heat Betting Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank 15th in fast break points per game (11.3) while the Heat rank 28th (7.6).
- Houston ranks 18th in second chance points per game (11.7) while Miami ranks 27th (10.4).
- Miami ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (25.6) while Houston ranks 15th (29.1).
- Houston ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (17.9) while Miami ranks 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.8).
- Houston is 15-10 ATS on the road, while Miami is 7-15-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 13 of the Heat’s 24 home games, while 16 of the Rockets 25 road games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Houston is 18-2 and Miami is 17-6.
- The Rockets are 38-10 when they score above 100 points, while the Heat are 20-9.
- The Heat rank sixth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Rockets rank 17th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Houston ranks fourth in steals per game (8.8) while Miami ranks 24th (7.1).
- The Heat rank first in assists allowed per game (20.1) while the Rockets rank 15th (22.9).
- The Rockets rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Heat rank seventh (42.0).
- Miami ranks 14th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.5) while Houston ranks 27th (47.7).
- Miami is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Heat’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.4, up from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.2 points per game (5.7 below their season average).