The Los Angeles Clippers (21-21) will be at home in Staples Center when they meet the Houston Rockets (30-11). Action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Clippers Free Preview
The Rockets beat the Phoenix Suns in their last game, 112-95. Chris Paul led Houston in scoring with 25 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Houston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.2 (above their season average of 22.3) and a free throw rate of 0.202 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Phoenix put up marks of 9.3 and 0.087, respectively.
The last time the Clippers played, they thoroughly outplayed the Sacramento Kings, 126-105. Los Angeles was lifted by Willie Reed, who had 14 points and 13 rebounds. Los Angeles played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.268 (above their season average of 0.223) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.634 (above their season average of 0.519). Sacramento had marks of 0.153 and 0.541, respectively, for those same stats.
The aggressive Houston offense might be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this contest. The Rockets currently rank first in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.239, while Los Angeles ranks 24th in FTA rate allowed (0.214).
Of Houston’s 41 games, 21 have finished over the projected point total, while 24 of Los Angeles 42 games have finished over the projected point total. The Rockets hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (30-11 vs. 21-21), but the Clippers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (23-18-1 vs. 20-20-1).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Rockets, it’s been Paul, who has averaged 22.6 points, 11.0 assists, 7.2 rebounds and 1.8 steals, while the Clippers have gotten great contributions from Lou Williams (32.6 points and 6.0 assists).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 246 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 219.5. The Clippers won 128-118, covering as 13-point underdogs. Los Angeles had a much better turnover percentage (7.1 vs. 15.4). Houston, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (29-35; 82.9 percent). In the loss, James Harden led all scorers on the team with 51 points.
Houston Rockets at Los Angeles Clippers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Clippers rank 19th (43.7).
- Los Angeles ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.2) while Houston ranks 18th (11.9).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (43.6) while Los Angeles ranks 15th (29.1).
- Houston ranks 16th in assists per game (22.5) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd in assists allowed per game (23.8).
- Los Angeles is 11-10 ATS at home, while Houston is 12-8 ATS on the road.
- Of the Rockets 20 road games, they have 12 unders, 7 overs and 1 push.
- The Clippers have 13 overs, 7 unders and 1 push in 21 home games.
- Los Angeles is 10-2 when they allow less than 100 points, while Houston is 13-2.
- The Rockets are 30-8 when they score over 100 points, while the Clippers are 19-14.
- The Rockets rank fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.3) while the Clippers rank 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.3).
- Los Angeles averages 48.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Houston ranks 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.7).
- The Rockets rank fourth in steals per game (8.8) while the Clippers rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- The Rockets average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 14th in the league. The Clippers rank 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Houston averages 11.0 fast break points per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks last in fast break points allowed per game (14.7).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Clippers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 0.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 112.8 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (2.3 above their season average).