Expect a high-scoring game when the Cleveland Cavaliers (30-20) and the Houston Rockets (37-13) go head-to-head at Quicken Loans Arena. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ABC.
Houston Rockets at Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Preview
In the Rockets last contest, they were victorious over the San Antonio Spurs, 102-91. James Harden was the games leading scorer with 28 points on 10-for-20 shooting. The Rockets forced 16 turnovers and held the Spurs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.458 (below their season average of 0.509).
The Cavaliers hope to keep it rolling after barely hanging on to beat the Miami Heat in their last game, 91-89. Cleveland received a boost from LeBron James, who was the games high scorer with 24 points on 8-for-21 shooting. The Cavaliers made 29 of their 38 free throws (76.3 percent), while the Heat had a turnover percentage of 16.8 (above their season average of 13.5).
This contest figures to be a shootout as two of the NBA’s premier offenses face off. Cleveland ranks fifth with 109.9 points per 100 possessions and Houston is second (113.0). Moreover, the Rockets rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.239), while the Cavaliers rank first in opponents FTA rate (0.160).
Of Houston’s 50 games, 26 have finished under the projected point total, while 26 of Cleveland’s 50 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rockets have a sizable advantage. They are 37-13 SU and 24-25-1 ATS, while the Cavaliers are 30-20 SU and 14-35-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Rockets, it’s been Harden, who has averaged 32.6 points, 9.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds, 2.2 steals and 1.2 blocks, while the Cavaliers have received great contributions from Isaiah Thomas (16.6 points and 4.6 assists).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 230 points, just over the projected point total of 228. The Rockets won 117-113, but were unable to cover as 6-point favorites. Houston had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (43.6 vs. 12.5). Cleveland, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (17.1 vs. 19.2). Harden played a huge role in the victory, recording a a triple-double with 35 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds.
Houston Rockets at Cleveland Cavaliers Odds Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank 14th in assists allowed per game (22.9) while the Cavaliers rank last (25.9).
- Cleveland averages 43.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks 18th in the league. Houston ranks 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.7).
- Cleveland ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Houston ranks 17th (4.9).
- On the road, Houston is 14-10 ATS with 15 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- Cleveland is 5-19-1 ATS at home with 13 overs, 11 unders and 1 push.
- Houston is 17-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Cleveland is 11-2.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Cavaliers are 29-12 and the Rockets are 36-10.
- The Rockets rank sixth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while the Cavaliers rank 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.9).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.9) while Cleveland ranks last in three pointers allowed per game (31.7).
- The Rockets rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Cavaliers rank 23rd (44.2).
- The Cavaliers average 11.2 fast break points per game, which ranks 15th in the league. The Rockets rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.7).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (8.9) while Cleveland ranks 22nd (7.2).
- Cleveland is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.6, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 109.2 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.4 points per game (3.7 below their season average).