The Chicago Bulls (14-26) will be at home in United Center when they clash against the Houston Rockets (27-11). Houston opened as a 5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 221 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 8, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets at Chicago Bulls ATS Preview
The Rockets lost to the Detroit Pistons in their last game, 108-101. Chris Paul had a good game for Houston, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 5-for-10 shooting. Detroit did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (20-27; 74.1 percent). Houston, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 21.7).
In the Bulls last matchup, they were defeated by the Indiana Pacers, 125-86. Bobby Portis was Chicago’s leading scorer with 15 points on 4-for-7 shooting. Indiana had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.8 (above their season average of 21.9). Chicago, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (16-20; 80.0 percent).
Second-chance points might be hard to find for Chicago in this showdown. The Bulls rank 24th in offensive rebounding percentage (20.2 percent), while Houston ranks third in defensive rebounding percentage (80.7 percent). Additionally, the second-ranked offense of the Rockets (offensive efficiency of 113.2) will attempt to exploit the 23rd-ranked defense of the Bulls (defensive efficiency of 108.3).
Of Houston’s 38 games, 19 have finished over the O/U total, while 22 of Chicago’s 40 games have finished over the projected point total. The Rockets have the better straight up (SU) record (27-11 vs. 14-26), but the Bulls hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (22-15-3 vs. 17-20-1).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Rockets won both matchups last season. In the most recent game, Houston won 115-94. The Rockets dominated every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.292 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500. The Bulls were 0.092 and 0.434, respectively, for those same stats.
Houston Rockets vs. Chicago Bulls Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank fourth in steals per game (8.9) while the Bulls rank 24th (6.9).
- Houston ranks 21st in points in the paint per game (42.1) while Chicago ranks 27th (40.4).
- Houston ranks 11th in assists allowed per game (22.3) while Chicago ranks 26th (24.6).
- Chicago is 10-7-2 ATS at home, while Houston is 10-8 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Bulls 19 home games, while 11 of the Rockets 18 road games have gone under.
- Houston is 12-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Chicago is 5-5.
- The Bulls are 12-10 when they reach the century mark, while the Rockets are 27-8.
- The Rockets rank 17th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Bulls rank 29th (3.6).
- Houston ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while Chicago ranks 28th (13.9).
- The Rockets average 43.3 three pointers per game, which ranks first in the league. The Bulls rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.3).
- The Rockets average 10.8 fast break points per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Bulls rank 17th in fast break points allowed per game (11.2).
- Houston ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while Chicago ranks 27th (45.4).
- Chicago is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Bulls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 6.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 116.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.6 points per game (11.5 above their season average).