The Boston Celtics (28-10) will try to slow down the leagues top scoring team when they meet the Houston Rockets (25-7) at TD Garden. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017, and it can be seen on TNT.
Houston Rockets at Boston Celtics Odds Preview
In the Rockets last contest, they were beaten by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 112-107. With 29 points on 7-for-18 shooting, James Harden led Houston in scoring. Oklahoma City had an effective field goal percentage of 0.595 (above their season average of 0.500). Houston, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (25-31; 80.6 percent).
The Celtics come in on a high note after beating the Charlotte Hornets in their last outing, 102-91. Al Horford had a solid performance for Boston, putting up 20 points and 11 rebounds. Boston’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Charlotte. The Celtics had a rate of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.521), while the Hornets posted a mark of 0.408 (below their season average of 0.490).
Second-chance opportunities might be few and far between for Boston in this contest. The Celtics currently rank 22nd in offensive rebounding percentage (20.6 percent), while Houston ranks third in defensive rebounding percentage (81.1 percent). Additionally, the Rockets top-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 114.1) will face off against the Celtics second-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 101.5).
Of Houston’s 32 games, 17 have finished over the projected point total, while 19 of Boston’s 37 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (25-7 for Houston; 28-10 for Boston), but the Celtics have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Boston is 22-13-2 ATS, while the Rockets are 16-15-1.
Trevor Ariza has really been playing well over the last five games for Houston, averaging 13.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Celtics won the last matchup 120-109. Boston’s rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Celtics had 12 offensive rebounds and 48 total rebounds, while the Rockets had six and 30, respectively.
Houston Rockets at Boston Celtics Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank second in steals per game (9.2) while the Celtics rank 17th (7.5).
- Boston averages 10.2 fast break points per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. Houston ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.3).
- Boston ranks third in blocks allowed per game (3.9) while Houston ranks 16th (4.8).
- Boston ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while Houston ranks 11th (11.7).
- Houston is 9-5 ATS on the road, while Boston is 10-7-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Rockets 14 road games, while 11 of the Celtics 19 home games have gone over.
- Houston is 11-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Boston is 20-1.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Rockets are 25-5 and the Celtics are 21-4.
- The Celtics rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the Rockets rank 14th (28.7).
- Houston ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while Boston ranks 29th (14.1).
- The Celtics rank sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.7) while the Rockets rank 25th (46.4).
- The Celtics rank third in assists allowed per game (20.2) while the Rockets rank 10th (21.9).
- Houston ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.6) while Boston ranks 19th (43.7).
- Boston is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 115.2 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.4 points per game (8.8 above their season average).