Expect a fast-paced game when the Houston Rockets (27-16), 5-point favorites, visit Minnesota to take on the Timberwolves (15-29). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 234.5 points and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020.
Houston Rockets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Odds
The Rockets will be looking for similar success after covering the 10-point spread against the Denver Nuggets in their last outing, 121-105. The Timberwolves, on the other hand, were beaten by the Chicago Bulls, 117-110, and failed to cover as 1-point underdogs. The Houston game finished 0.5 points under the projected point total of 226.5, while the Minnesota game went 8 points over the projected point total of 219.
Houston dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.270 (above their season average of 0.226) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0 (above their season average of 23.8). Denver was 0.120 and 27.1, respectively, for those same stats. Minnesota, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.564 (above their season average of 0.501). Karl-Anthony Towns played well for Minnesota, recording 40 points and six rebounds. Houston, meanwhile, rallied around Russell Westbrook, who finished with 28 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists.
In their two matchups this season, the Rockets have won both. In their most recent game, the two teams combined for 248 points, well over the projected point total of 232. Houston won 139-109, covering as an 11-point favorite. Houston made 18 of their 45 three pointers (40.0 percent), while Minnesota was 13-48 (27.1 percent). Westbrook put up a double-double in the victory with 30 points and 10 assists.
Oddsmakers are known to place the total high when the Rockets are involved, as 25 of their 43 games have gone under the total. Houston comes into the game with records of 27-16 straight up (SU) and 21-22 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Houston, Timberwolves games have a slight tendency to go over the projected point total (54.5 percent). Additionally, Minnesota is 15-29 SU and 17-25-2 ATS.
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this showdown that showcases two of the league’s more up-and-down teams. Minnesota ranks fourth in possessions per game (106.2) and Houston is fifth (106.2). Furthermore, the Rockets are among the league’s elite at getting to the line, ranking fourth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.227). The Timberwolves, meanhwile, rank 22nd at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents’ FTA rate of 0.213.
Houston Rockets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Free Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank eighth in points off turnovers per game (17.8) while the Timberwolves rank 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.4).
- Minnesota ranks third in three pointers attempted per game (39.5) while Houston ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (35.8).
- The Timberwolves rank 10th in assists allowed per game (23.4) while the Rockets rank 28th (25.6).
- Minnesota averages 14.3 second chance points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Houston ranks 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- Minnesota ranks 10th in points in the paint per game (48.5) while Houston ranks 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (50.6).
- The Rockets rank fifth in rebounds per game (47.4) while the Timberwolves rank 29th in rebounds allowed per game (48.3).
- The Timberwolves average 8.5 steals per game, which ranks fifth in the league. The Rockets rank 19th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in blocks per game (6.0) while Houston ranks 15th (4.9).
- Houston ranks eighth in fast break points per game (14.5) while Minnesota ranks 28th (10.1).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Minnesota is 2-1 and Houston is 3-0.
- When reaching the century mark, the Rockets are 27-14 and the Timberwolves are 14-22.
- Minnesota is 5-15-1 ATS at home, while Houston is 10-11 ATS on the road.
- The Rockets have 14 unders and 7 overs in 21 road games.
- In 21 home games, the Timberwolves have 11 unders and 10 overs.
- In their last five games, Houston and Minnesota are both 1-4 ATS.
- The Rockets have 4 unders and 1 over over their last five games, while the Timberwolves have 3 overs and 2 unders
- The Rockets have been outscored by an average of 3.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Houston has defeated opponents by an average of 4.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 113.2 points per game (1.4 below their season average).