Southwest Division foes will battle when the Memphis Grizzlies (7-7) challenge the Houston Rockets (12-4) at FedExForum. Houston opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 214.5 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 18, 2017, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Houston Rockets at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Preview
In the Rockets last contest, they had no trouble getting past the Phoenix Suns, 142-116. James Harden was the games high scorer with 48 points on 12-for-22 shooting. The Rockets made 35 of their 38 free throws (92.1 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.594 (above their season average of 0.547).
The Grizzlies are hoping for a better outcome after their 116-113 loss to the Indiana Pacers in their last game. Marc Gasol was the games leading scorer with 35 points on 12-for-24 shooting. Indiana had a better turnover percentage (11.3 vs. 13.6). Memphis, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.2 (above their season average of 17.7).
Second-chance points could be scarce for Memphis in this showdown. The Grizzlies rank 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (18.3 percent), while Houston ranks first in defensive rebounding percentage (82.5 percent). Additionally, the Rockets rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.254), while the Grizzlies rank 26th in opponents FTA rate (0.236).
Of Houstons 16 games, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 8 of Memphis 14 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rockets have a clear advantage. They are 12-4 SU and 9-7 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 7-7 SU and 6-8 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Rockets, its been Harden, who has averaged 38.6 points, 12.0 assists, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals, while the Grizzlies have gotten great contributions from Tyreke Evans (23.2 points, 4.0 assists and 1.4 steals).
These two teams have met three times already this year, with the Grizzlies leading the series two games to one. Harden scored a game-high 38 points in the most recent game, in which the Rockets defeated the Grizzlies 111-96, covering as 7-point underdogs. He also put up eight assists. The two teams combined for 207 points, which was just 2.5 points below the projected point total of 209.5 points. The Rockets dominated every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.4 and a great free throw rate of 0.253. The Grizzlies put up marks of 12.5 and 0.177, respectively, for those same stats.
Houston Rockets at Memphis Grizzlies Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (44.4) while the Grizzlies rank 16th (28.8).
- Memphis averages 45.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. Houston ranks 21st in points allowed in the paint per game (45.1).
- Houston ranks 12th in second chance points per game (12.9) while Memphis ranks 27th (8.6).
- Houston ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.1) while Memphis ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- On the road, Houston is 6-3 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Memphis is 3-4 ATS with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Memphis is 5-0 and Houston is 5-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Rockets are 12-2 and the Grizzlies are 4-3.
- The Rockets rank fifth in steals per game (8.9) while the Grizzlies rank 17th (7.6).
- Memphis ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (12.9) while Houston ranks 26th (19.8).
- The Rockets rank 10th in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (39.9).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in assists allowed per game (20.1) while the Rockets rank 16th (23.0).
- Memphis ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.6) while Houston ranks 21st in fast break points allowed per game (11.4).
- Memphis is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Grizzlies have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Memphis has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 120.2 points per game (7.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (4.5 above their season average).