The Providence Friars (8-3) and the Houston Cougars (9-2) square off at Mohegan Sun Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 147.5 points with Houston set as a 4-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Houston Cougars vs. Providence Friars Odds Preview
The Cougars easily got past the Prairie View A&M Panthers in their last outing, 92-72. Armoni Brooks was the games high scorer with 24 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Houston played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.415 (above their season average of 0.267) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.4 (above their season average of 35.8). For those same stats, Prairie View A&M was 0.164 and 30.8, respectively.In the Friars last matchup, they defeated the Stony Brook Seawolves, 62-60. Providence received a boost from Isaiah Jackson, who put up 13 points and five rebounds. Providence played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.304 (above their season average of 0.278) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (below their season average of 32.4). For those same stats, Stony Brook recorded marks of 0.107 and 17.6, respectively.
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Providence. Providence ranks 256th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Houston forces the 96th-most turnovers in the nation (21.3 percent). Moreover, the Cougars rank 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (36.3 percent), while the Friars rank 272nd in defensive rebounding percentage (68.7 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Houston games have gone under 57.1 percent of the time, while 77.8 percent of games involving Providence have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cougars have a sizable advantage. They are 9-2 SU and 4-3 ATS, while the Friars are 8-3 SU and 2-7 ATS.
Rodney Bullock has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Providence, averaging 17.8 points, 6.8 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
Houston Cougars vs. Providence Friars Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Over
- The Cougars rank 116th in steals per game (6.3) while the Friars rank 149th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- Houston is 18th in the NCAA with 10.4 assists allowed per game while Providence is 33rd with 11.0 assists allowed per game.
- Houston ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while Providence ranks 128th (34.8).
- The Cougars rank 174th in three pointers attempted per game (20.8) while the Friars rank 251st (16.7).
- Houston ranks 49th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Providence ranks 100th (3.5).
- The Friars have been outscored by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. On the season, Providence has defeated opponents by an average of 6.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 85.0 points per game (2.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (0.8 above their season average).